• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground/Crossrail takeover of Greater Anglia inners

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Later this month Transport for London will take over a large chunk of. Greater Anglia namely the metro operations with Shenfield to Liverpool Street becoming CrossRail (although not initially branded as such) and Liverpool Street to Cheshunt, Chingford, Enfield Town and Romford to Upminster becoming London Overground

I understand Overground trains will be rebranded cost effectively possibly with a wrap according to one source... Immediate work to improve the upkeep of trains and stations will take place. Presumably staff have already been recruited

Are you expecting an overnight transformation?!!

Will this improve Greater Anglia as such a contrast could prove embarrassing... I guess. Greater Anglia will be easier to run with a large chunk removed

Has there been a lot of publicity about the changes and when will the 315s and relevant 317s be retired?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Later this month Transport for London will take over a large chunk of. Greater Anglia namely the metro operations with Shenfield to Liverpool Street becoming CrossRail (although not initially branded as such) and Liverpool Street to Cheshunt, Chingford, Enfield Town and Romford to Upminster becoming London Overground

Discussed at length in a number of previous threads, this one is the first I found:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=111666

There was also this one only a couple of weeks ago that you took part in:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2143244&postcount=15

Did we really need another version?

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Do we know what the new trains will be on Overground and Great Northern class 313 replacement for that matter

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Nope. Overground is out to tender but there's no decision yet. Don't think the Moorgate stock has been tendered for yet?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Nope. Overground is out to tender but there's no decision yet. Don't think the Moorgate stock has been tendered for yet?

Moorgate stock will be tendered for quite soon - by-bye GN Electric 313's then ....

bicbasher

Established Member
Are the West Anglia units getting the same wrap that the Silverlink 313's got?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Incidentally, London Underground seem to have jumped the gun somewhat. Took the Victoria Line today, and the line diagrams already had a sticker over the Seven Sisters - Walthamstow Central end of the line with "Overground" flashes instead of the NR symbol.

ScotGG

Established Member
The inner London stations like Bethnal Green & Cambridge Heath will see passenger numbers vastly increase is my prediction, as it already has a good service and so add in LO visibility and staffing and numbers/revenue will shoot up.

Last edited:

Simon11

Established Member
Incidentally, London Underground seem to have jumped the gun somewhat. Took the Victoria Line today, and the line diagrams already had a sticker over the Seven Sisters - Walthamstow Central end of the line with "Overground" flashes instead of the NR symbol.

At least it is up to date! On the Met line the posters displayed are from May 2013 and it informs you of station closures from mid May to Dec 2013:roll:

GospelOak117

Are the West Anglia units getting the same wrap that the Silverlink 313's got?

At least most of the west Anglia stock is already white, just with the wrong colour of doors to worry about. Slap that London Overground sign carried by the 313s on the side of a white GA liveried 315 and your'e nearly there, a half arsed attempt at LO livery. The green/purple/yellow 313s couldn't have been further from it :lol:

Hopefully the stock will at least receive the plain white and blue being applied to the TFL Rail stock staying over on the Shenfield metro. It is simple but effective, gets rid of the pink doors on the 315 interior and would last the stock until their 2017/8 replacement, which is more than can be said of their current state.

Incidentally how many 315s still carry the blue 'one' livery in my picture, I've been away from the area for nearly a year?

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
At least most of the west Anglia stock is already white, just with the wrong colour of doors to worry about. Slap that London Overground sign carried by the 313s on the side of a white GA liveried 315 and your'e nearly there, a half arsed attempt at LO livery. The green/purple/yellow 313s couldn't have been further from it :lol:

Hopefully the stock will at least receive the plain white and blue being applied to the TFL Rail stock staying over on the Shenfield metro. It is simple but effective, gets rid of the pink doors on the 315 interior and would last the stock until their 2017/8 replacement, which is more than can be said of their current state.

Incidentally how many 315s still carry the blue 'one' livery in my picture, I've been away from the area for nearly a year?

Four if that

The blue is the crossrail stock I wonder if they might cover the white as the marks from the pantograph look awful

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

They have to fit about 5000 stickers and new maps to the fleet altogether. Perhaps it takes a few weeks to do? If they start on the changeover date I guess they'll get stick for not showing the new interchanges?

LeeLivery

Established Member
They have to fit about 5000 stickers and new maps to the fleet altogether. Perhaps it takes a few weeks to do? If they start on the changeover date I guess they'll get stick for not showing the new interchanges?

They could have avoided that if they had the New York Subway style screens on them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Four if that

The blue is the crossrail stock I wonder if they might cover the white as the marks from the pantograph look awful

I'm sure I saw more than four when I was on a Norwich InterCity on Monday

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I have yet to see two blue units together. Keeps me entertained between Shenfield & Liverpool St. Hopefully today will be the day.

al.currie93

At least it is up to date! On the Met line the posters displayed are from May 2013 and it informs you of station closures from mid May to Dec 2013:roll:

I wouldn't complain - the Bakerloo Line still directs people to 'British Rail' at Marylebone and other places :P

Seung205

If Emerson Park is staffed from first train to last, I see it becoming very boring very quickly.

LeeLivery

Established Member

I don't expect them to change the big route signs on the platform though. At Blackfriars they decided to put double arrow next to the LO flash for Gunnersbury when they re-opened it in 2012. https://www.flickr.com/photos/45801463@N05/6911091661/in/set-72157625135359633 While I'm the Jubilee line doesn't show or say "change for LO" for Stratford

Last edited:

Established Member
The inner London stations like Bethnal Green & Cambridge Heath will see passenger numbers vastly increase is my prediction, as it already has a good service and so add in LO visibility and staffing and numbers/revenue will shoot up.

Add in staff actually checking tickets and passenger numbers could plummet ;) but yes staff visibility does seem to help generate custom.

I have yet to see two blue units together. Keeps me entertained between Shenfield & Liverpool St. Hopefully today will be the day.

There was a pair together one day last week.

If Emerson Park is staffed from first train to last, I see it becoming very boring very quickly.

Used to be staffed once upon a time, until someone torched the booking office one night.

Last edited:

theking

I don't get why Romford Upminster is LO surely it wouldave made more sense to make it part of crossrail rather than have one random overground train there.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Crossrail will be using 9-carriage, 200m long trains. Overground will be using 4-carriage, 80m long trains (doubled up as needed). Bascially, it goes to Overground as they have the right trains for the job, Crossrail won't.

JaJaWa

Established Member
I don't expect them to change the big route signs on the platform though. At Blackfriars they decided to put double arrow next to the LO flash for Gunnersbury when they re-opened it in 2012. https://www.flickr.com/photos/45801463@N05/6911091661/in/set-72157625135359633 While I'm the Jubilee line doesn't show or say "change for LO" for Stratford

Those are mistakes. TfL branding convention is that London Overground and TfL Rail will be shown as separate to National Rail. I've attached some images of the new branding.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 15.32.23.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-02 at 15.32.23.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 17.08.17.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 17.08.17.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 17.08.08.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 17.08.08.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 17.07.03.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-01 at 17.07.03.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 319

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Overground really needs a rethink of their map. They'll have six separate lines- counting ELL/SLL, NLL/WLL, Watford DC, GOBLIN, West Anglia and Romford-Upminster. Time for them to have "proper" names and different colours?

LeeLivery

Established Member
Those are mistakes. TfL branding convention is that London Overground and TfL Rail will be shown as separate to National Rail. I've attached some images of the new branding.

Yes I know that - I've had that map since last week and can see the LO roundel and double arrow from my window. Was just saying is that I don't expect them to change it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Overground really needs a rethink of their map. They'll have six separate lines- counting ELL/SLL, NLL/WLL, Watford DC, GOBLIN, West Anglia and Romford-Upminster. Time for them to have "proper" names and different colours?

Indeed. They did say they were looking into this last year. What happened to that, only they know. I also find it strange not to put TfL Rail on the map. Its no different.

Last edited:

Essexman

Established Member
It would be a good idea to have someone on board Romford - Upminster to check tickets, as many take advantage of the often unmanned 'fare dodgers' gate at Romford. A 'guard' on the train seems a better idea than at Emerson Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.