• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground extension to Clapham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barclay

Hi guys

I am thinking of applying for a job based at Shadwell. However, I live in Twickenham and would prefer to avoid using the tube from Waterloo in the morning because it's so busy. Does anyone have an idea of how long the journey will take on London Overground from Clapham Junction to Shadwell when it opens in December? Or can anyone make an educated guess?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tommy3000

Shadwell to Surrey Quays is 7 minutes and Queen's Road Peckham to Wandsworth Road is 11 minutes. 25-30 minutes seems like a reasonable estimate for the entire journey.

Also, I wouldn't count on the Overground being a more pleasant experience than the tube. The East London Line is mobbed in the peaks.

Barclay

Ta.

I won't expect empty trains, but at least by boarding at the origin of the service I might stand a chance of a seat. Although at 4tph I might be lucky!

tsr

Established Member
Ta.

I won't expect empty trains, but at least by boarding at the origin of the service I might stand a chance of a seat. Although at 4tph I might be lucky!

You'll be lucky to get a seat off-peak, let alone during "normal" peak commuting hours, which is of course especially due to the low number of seats per passenger. In fact, I prefer to stand for short distances - you can position yourself nearer to the doors, and if you like looking at outer urban areas (hmmm) or interesting junctions, you can see out of the windows rather better.

Despite the sometimes-extreme popularity of the services, I do like the Overground network and the 378s more than most stretches of LU Lines and much of the stock used on them.

bicbasher

Established Member
If the previous extensions are anything to go by, they'll be a honeymoon period where the morning peak trains are fine as pax use existing services, then as everyone realises the connections at Canada Water, it'll be rammed by the time you get to Peckham Rye!

Clapham High Street may see additional usage as Northern line pax use it to avoid Zone 1 to get to Canary Wharf via Canada Water instead of changing at London Bridge.

Clip

Established Member
You'll be lucky to get a seat off-peak, let alone during "normal" peak commuting hours, which is of course especially due to the low number of seats per passenger. In fact, I prefer to stand for short distances - you can position yourself nearer to the doors, and if you like looking at outer urban areas (hmmm) or interesting junctions, you can see out of the windows rather better.

Despite the sometimes-extreme popularity of the services, I do like the Overground network and the 378s more than most stretches of LU Lines and much of the stock used on them.

All about knowing where to stand for the train first thing in the morning so you have a better chance of a seat ;) especially at Highbury & Islington

Status
Not open for further replies.