• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground Trainee Driver - Harlesden and SE London, Feb '21 & Aug '21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Reece E

Just applied, it's the wait now
Got In last time and passed my stage 1 before covid hit
Hey Agith.

You say you passed stage 1 before, what exactly did you have to do? and for the numeric assessment, do you remember what it was like, trying to get an idea of things?

thank you

Likewise!
Hey Ace, I replied to Agith asking the same thing, just been confused with a few of the assessment that are being said, just wanted to know if you could elaborate abit, just as a heads up.

You say you passed stage 1 before, what exactly did you have to do? and for the numeric assessment, do you remember what it was like, trying to get an idea of things?

thank you

Agith

Once you get through,
U will be invited for an assessment day vai email with all the practices materials needed.
For me it was in person but, maybe it could be online this time.

Last edited:

Ace91

Hi Reece,

I worked off the practice papers they sent me via email.

I believe stage 1 to answer your question if I remember correctly:

Group bourden test

Driver fault finding test

Test of everyday attention

Situational judgment test

Last edited:

Reece E

Once you get through,
U will be invited for an assessment day vai email with all the practices materials needed.
For me it was in person but, maybe it could be online this time.
This are the ones I got last year, read through them and make sure to time yourself.
wow, thank you for the additional documents to look at.

really appreciate it!

Hi Reece,

I worked off the practice papers they sent me via email.

I believe stage 1 to answer your question if I remember correctly:

Group bourden test

Driver fault finding test

Test of everyday attention

Situational judgment test
Perfect.

Thank you very much for the help.

SGD5891

I passed all stages last February 2020 was about to do final interview when Covid hit. To think I could have. Been driving by now

thats a shame, hope you get through this time. If it makes you feel any better, you probably wouldnt have been driving now anyways. I have been training since august 2019 with ARL, and had a lengthy time off last year (8 months) because of covid. I was right at the end of my course when they had to stop in cab training. I have now nearly got all my hours and hope to pass out in the next week or two

Reece E

thats a shame, hope you get through this time. If it makes you feel any better, you probably wouldnt have been driving now anyways. I have been training since august 2019 with ARL, and had a lengthy time off last year (8 months) because of covid. I was right at the end of my course when they had to stop in cab training. I have now nearly got all my hours and hope to pass out in the next week or two
That's crazy! I know that happened with GTR Thameslink when they first extended their routes down to Rainham. They took on so many drivers that they didn't have enough DI's. So majority just sat at home for almost 18 months despite finishing training school. But that wasn't covid related. But yours sadly is. Hopefully you will be passed out! You got this far!

Which line are you doing?

And with the exams in the school. Were they written answers of multiple choice?

SGD5891

That's crazy! I know that happened with GTR Thameslink when they first extended their routes down to Rainham. They took on so many drivers that they didn't have enough DI's. So majority just sat at home for almost 18 months despite finishing training school. But that wasn't covid related. But yours sadly is. Hopefully you will be passed out! You got this far!

yeah, I should be passed out real soon. I'm on the East London Line, Home Depot is New Cross Gate. All the exams, are more of and assessment right the way through your training. I wouldn't call them exams as such mate. Different parts of the course you will have mini assessments to see if your progressing at the rate they want. Then your finals will be spread out over 4/5 days, consisting of daytime driving/ night time driving over all routes, simulator, and rules. All of this is done as observation and discussing rules etc, might be the odd PTS paper, but that's about it as far as I'm aware.

Stigy

Established Member

It’s the same across all TOCs. I was delayed by 7months and passed out in December. Others in my group (we started in July 2019) still haven’t returned to handling yet.

Kelki

Yes my inlaw is at your stage should be done in the next few weeks. I believe he actually had his final training exam today. He also had 8 months of from April and lucky enough just as his daughter was born. I think the ending of training for the groups in your period has signalled the starting up of recruitment for everyone else.

Hey Agith.

thank you

Hey Ace, I replied to Agith asking the same thing, just been confused with a few of the assessment that are being said, just wanted to know if you could elaborate abit, just as a heads up.

thank you
They will give you practice material and it is very much what you need to pass the tests so it’s a matter of practice. The tests don’t stray too much from that. Try getting a remote control car or a toy drone and learn how to navigate it as the control skills translates.

Last edited:

Chuchu

Has anyone reveived an email from ARL asking for some information as full name, what depot is the application for, distance to depot etc ?

binkyb

So they want mileage to check the time it takes? Anyone know what the limit is if there is one?

I applied for both... what do people reckon put down the travel times for both or just the preferred depot (don’t even know which I actually prefer )

Just wanted to gauge people’s opinions on it, I’m of a mind I applied for both and should state the travel times to both depots

Jaytrains

I applied for both... what do people reckon put down the travel times for both or just the preferred depot (don’t even know which I actually prefer )

Just wanted to gauge people’s opinions on it, I’m of a mind I applied for both and should state the travel times to both depots

I applied for both and stated the travel time for both and also put down both depots, 10mins away from newcross and an hour from willesden

Reece E

What comparison did you give for Harlesden depot? because i cant actually find the depot itself.

Chuchu

What comparison did you give for Harlesden depot? because i cant actually find the depot itself.
Well, that was something odd in their advert as there is no Harlesden depot. Their north London depot is Willesden. Probably Harlesden was mentioned as the area where the depot is located but it's actually right next to Willesden Junction station.

Reece E

Well, that was something odd in their advert as there is no Harlesden depot. Their north London depot is Willesden.
I google mapped it, and it is literally right next to Willesden Junction station, to the right as you said.

so I just put Harlesden/Willesden TMD

Last edited:

BoeingBird

Did anyone get sent the email requesting info twice? I replied when it was initially sent but have been sent the same email again! Worried that they're not receiving my reply.

Lenny_U

Did anyone get sent the email requesting info twice? I replied when it was initially sent but have been sent the same email again! Worried that they're not receiving my reply.
Recieved two emails too but that's because I've applied for both depots?

I applied for both and stated the travel time for both and also put down both depots, 10mins away from newcross and an hour from willesden
I applied for both too, did you reply with two separate emails or just one?

Rylievie

When I applied, during rush hour time it takes me 1 in the car or even more. But if I have to get in during rush hour I use the train which takes me 30/35 mins. Any other time driving is usually before 6am or after 12am and I have 2 route options both taking be roughly 40mins. I explained that when I did my application and was all fine.

Jaytrains

When I applied, during rush hour time it takes me 1 in the car or even more. But if I have to get in during rush hour I use the train which takes me 30/35 mins. Any other time driving is usually before 6am or after 12am and I have 2 route options both taking be roughly 40mins. I explained that when I did my application and was all fine.

Are u already a driver for arl?

20atthemagnet

It’s a shame they changed these requirements, if you get the job you’ll be working with people who drive in from all over the country lol you miss out on some really good people that way who are willing to travel. We’ve got drivers who drive in from Northamptonshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Sussex, Kent etc etc

Lamchop

I also received an email today.

Does anyone else find it odd that they have asked for your NI number and you DOB? Or is that just me?

Reece E

Well, that was something odd in their advert as there is no Harlesden depot. Their north London depot is Willesden. Probably Harlesden was mentioned as the area where the depot is located but it's actually right next to Willesden Junction station.
Just replied with travel times for both in one email myself

I also received an email today.

Does anyone else find it odd that they have asked for your NI number and you DOB? Or is that just me?
Not too sure either, maybe just security and to check your background I guess.

B Boy 82

Good evening all. Is it standard procedure to receive the email asking for Name NI etc? Won’t get my hopes up. Does this mean we may be in line for a call ??

Status
Not open for further replies.