• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground Trainee Driver - Harlesden and SE London, Feb '21 & Aug '21

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Karmel

Harlesden: Apprentice Trainee Train Driver (17/08/2021)

Apprentice Trainee Drivers - Starting salary 30,699 rising to 64,645

Please note this is a new vacancy. Previous applications will not be considered.

At Arriva Rail London, our aim is to become a truly inclusive organisation with a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve. This is fundamental to ARL’s future success and our ability to continue to contribute to culture and society in the UK.

We are looking to recruit train drivers for our North London Line route based at Willesden Depot. Anyone applying for these positions must be willing to work in this area and live within one-hour commutable distance to the depot.

Train Drivers are at the very heart of our business and we look to recruit the very best people to join the team to ensure a safe, reliable and punctual service to our customers.

As a trainee, you can expect to receive a comprehensive training programme and support to enable you to progress into a fully qualified driver.

Being a train driver comes with a high level of responsibility in terms of personal and passenger safety and so all applicants will have to follow several stages of a selection process following initial application stage.

Please check out our Trainee Driver FAQs for more information on the role and process:

To be eligible to apply you must:

• Be aged over 20 years
• Committed to a safe working environment.
• Strong customer focus.
• Be able to comply with the relevant Rail Industry Standard for the role.
• Demonstrate a positive, can-do attitude at work.
• Be able to commit to the 40 week training programme commencing in February/March 2022

At ARL we ensure all new colleagues benefit from the highest levels of training, development, and support. Successful applicants will be enrolled on our apprenticeship scheme.

Whilst you do not need any prior qualifications to become a train driver, we do require applicants to have a basic level of maths and English to be considered for the role. Successful candidates may be required to submit evidence of such.

The recruitment process will involve several factors including:

· A review of your written application
· Some rules and safety tests
· An assessment centre
· A personal interview and
· A safety critical medical.

Anyone applying for the trainee driver positions must be able to attend the course dates.
We anticipate a high number of applicants; therefore it is possible that many people will unfortunately not complete all stages of the recruitment process. Due to the high volume of interest it may also take some time before we are able to feedback on your application, but we will ensure all applicants receive a response.

This advertisement will close on 24th August 2021.

**Please note that all dates and time frames within this advert may be subject to alterations due to the COVID-19**

Harlesden: (24/02/2021)

South East London: (24/02/2021)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
The way they have listed the adverts is a bit weird, not sure why they don't just say Willesden Junction and New Cross Gate instead of "Harlesden" and "South East London".

Agith

Just applied, it's the wait now
Got In last time and passed my stage 1 before covid hit

traingeek97

I've applied. I'm 40 minutes from New Cross Depot so it would be a good location for me. Obviously it's intensive DOO work but is London Overground generally considered to be a decent TOC? Also - does anybody know where the training takes place?

re320

Just done my application for this, fingers crossed and good luck to all

greatkingrat

Established Member
I've applied. I'm 40 minutes from New Cross Depot so it would be a good location for me. Obviously it's intensive DOO work but is London Overground generally considered to be a decent TOC? Also - does anybody know where the training takes place?
Classroom training will either be at Willesden or Swiss Cottage.

TTDARL

Arriva Rail London is a very good place to learn the craft. Very good training team and training content. It is known as a bit of a training ground for people to gain their licence / competence then move onto other TOCS / FOCS. On the flip side, many drivers have been there for many many years. A number of high speed TOCS like LNER / Avanti / EMR & Eurostar have taken on drivers from ARL (London Overground) with relatively low years of experience as the training is so good at ARL and being able to do & sustain the intensive DOO work and what that involves shows invaluable competence and experience, especially having a clean safety of the line record.

Last edited:

domno5150

Just Applied myself website is abit different than before used to be a bit where you could write up about why your suitable for the job did everyone attach a written application aswell

DA1

Good TOC but one of the toughest TOC recruitment processes I’ve been through. Got all the way to a DMI for NXG and failed that but now training with my local TOC.
Good luck all!

Jaytrains

I literally live across the road from the newcross depot and also a 40 min journey away from the willesden depot but its not easy to get in

Hi, does anyone if ARL assessments are to enhanced or standard? Thank you.

Enhanced

Kelki

I passed all stages last February 2020 was about to do final interview when Covid hit. To think I could have. Been driving by now

wils180

Would also be interested to know how the jump from 30k to 65k is staggered if anybody knows?

Kelki

Will they invite you back?
Yes they just sent out for us to complete a new application as they have just changed systems. It’s just to track our old applications in the new system. we won’t have to redo any of what we have passed. Now just waiting final interview with line manager.

Received all this via email yesterday

Chuchu

Would also be interested to know how the jump from 30k to 65k is staggered if anybody knows?
If I remember it right, on the previous recruitment drive they were saying something like 30k while training, going to 46-49k in your first year and then 65 in your second year as a qualified driver.

Kelki

Yes they just sent out for us to complete a new application as they have just changed systems. It’s just to track our old applications in the new system. we won’t have to redo any of what we have passed. Now just waiting final interview with line manager.

Received all this via email yesterday
Does anyone know if Sunday's are part of working week or outside?
they are part of

Rylievie

If I remember it right, on the previous recruitment drive they were saying something like 30k while training, going to 46-49k in your first year and then 65 in your second year as a qualified driver.
This changed in the new pay deal, as of April this year, there is no 1st year driver pay. Straight to full once productive

Daz88

I applied for this Role with ARL back in February last year but then COVID hit and all of a sudden the role and status vanished from the portal.

reapplied yesterday so fingers crossed and good luck to everyone who has applied.

My brother in law is fully qualified with them and had worked there for 4 or so years and already heard applicant numbers are through the roof just after 24 hours as expected LOL

good luck all

wils180

The advert states a training course commencing May/ June. That seems like a fairly quick turnaround for a driver recruitment process! Does anyone have an idea, from previous recruitment drives maybe, if that’s realistic?

Jaytrains

Yeahh overground don’t do talent pools, my mate got offered a medical/start date a week after completing his dmi and that’s one of the reasons why they only advertise twice a year for trainee positions

Status
Not open for further replies.