• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overhead lines at NLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonkerner

Does anyone know if any electric trains actually use the track from NLW to Liverpool? I know the line is only electrified from just before the station at the junction with the WCML but all I've ever seen on it are DMUs and diesel freight

I know of the plans to make the whole route electric from Manchester, but they're a while off yet

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
AFAIK, at present the electrified track is the spur from Golborne Junction, through Newton-le-Willows and the Chester platforms at Earlestown back to the WCML at Winwick Junction.

I seem to remember it was electrified as an alternative route should the WCML be blocked between those points, but I've never seen any emu or electrically-hauled train use it.

As you say, that will change when the Manchester-Liverpool electrification is completed.

jasonkerner

That makes sense, thanks - never realised that it didn't go all the way to Liverpool

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The wires will go to Liverpool in late 2014 and Manchester in late 2013, if the schemes are on schedule, but as noted it is only a diversionary route for the WCML at present. There are two passenger services each day that use the electrified line between Wigan and Newton-le-Willows each day, but they are diesel units (to Liverpool).

John55

For a short period after the Crewe - Glasgow electrification was completed there were a few Crewe - Preston trains worked by AM4 EMUs (or Class 304) which called at all/most stations including Newton-le-Willows. These lasted a very short time one or two years I think.

From 31st March to 12th May the Liverpool - Wigan service is diverted via Newton-le-Willow, Lowton Jcn and Golborne Jcn on Saturdays and Sundays so there will be a half hourly or hourly service in each direction.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
All services are diverted with buses calling at stations between Huyton and Wigan, the trains will be non-stop from Huyton to Wigan North Western (and vice-versa).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I'd be guessing, but as Earlestown-Liverpool is currently closed on weekends, I'd say electrification work.

John55

I'd be guessing, but as Earlestown-Liverpool is currently closed on weekends, I'd say electrification work.

No need to guess as it is electrification works.

Full closure info for Feb to May (from Merseytravel) is;

"On Saturdays and Sundays from 18 February to 25 March 2012, trains between Liverpool Lime Street and Wigan North Western/Earlestown are replaced by buses.

On Saturdays and Sundays from 31 March to 13 May 2012, trains between Huyton, St Helens Central and Wigan North Western are replaced by buses"

Status
Not open for further replies.