Overhead wire damage between Doncaster & York 06/08 - Good service resumes 07/08

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by gavin, 6 Aug 2017.

1. gavin

gavin Member

09:00 Edinburgh to Kings X starts from Newcastle at 10:26 - Customers to travel on the 09:08 Cross Country from Edinburgh ONLY and change at York for services towards London

Last edited: 7 Aug 2017
  2. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
  3. gavin

gavin Member

The 09:45 and 10:15 Leeds to London services are running without reservations due to a shortage of staff

The 09:52 Aberdeen to Kings X is running without reservations and is 16 late due to a late arrival from the depot

4. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

Updated info from NRE:

5. wensley

wensley Established Member

The 67 was attached to a failed MkIV on the 2WG and had to detach and shunt before running as 1Z99 to assist. Due to the damage it wasn't possible to assist in rear, and as the SLW hadn't been implemented it ran via Askern and Ferrybridge to get on the front of 1S14.

6. philthetube

philthetube Established Member

Shocked?, Do you work for the Mail? :D

7. Blindtraveler

Blindtraveler Established Member

All creddit to staff at Aberdeen getting their morning services out at all today, dedication and hard work.

8. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

Was that Flying Scotsman, 91101? We saw it unceremoniously dumped in the siding right next to platform 8 at Doncaster (I have a photo of it on my phone, though can't upload it at the moment) and did wonder if that's where the loco came from (I see the Neville Hill to Bounds Green service, with 3 hours in Doncaster got cancelled, presumably as the Thunderbird then had its proverbial hands full in dragging errant 25 back to Bounds Green instead)

9. gavin

gavin Member

A good service has now resumed though some services will continue to run without seat reservations due to a shortage of platform staff at some stations

10. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

I was glad I noticed in time, I was supposed to be on the 1730 Kings Cross-Newcastle with t'missus. Hot footed it to Euston for the 1600 to Birmingham then got the 1730 from Birmingham. After Derby had 1st class to ourselves and the XC crew were very attentive. Came up through Ponte Carlo and lost little time.

Only niggle was Newcastle being full of abandoned VTEC sets, meaning trains were losing 25 minutes because of a lack of platform space. Once again I don't understand why they didn't just dump them all in Heaton rather than in the station (and one which looked like it had been parked on the King Edward Bridge!)

11. rg177

rg177 Established Member

I was on the 2048 from York (1830 ex Birmingham) and we sailed right into Newcastle, ahead of two VTEC services and the Scottish XC service. Platforms 3 and 4 looked to have two VTEC dumped there.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

12. AndrewP

AndrewP Member

I was on the 06:00 from York to Kings Cross this morning and you wouldn't have known there were any problems at all yesterday let alone the chaos that had ensued.

Big thanks to everyone involved in getting the services up and running today.

13. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

Maybe some drivers don't sign it?

14. Parham Wood

Parham Wood Member

Silly question but why are not two Virgin trains coupled together for SLW this would get twice as many trains and passengers through? I know it may not be possible with the order the stuck trains are in?

Delays like this are not just in the UK. I remember being on a transfer to the airport from a ski resort which stopped at Alberville station for a break. The station was packed with passengers awaiting very long delayed TGVs due to an incident down the line. Not a train was in sight!

15. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

We got held for ages at Low Fell, then got put in on platform 5 ahead of a rammed VTEC HST and an empty electric set (which I think was parked on the bridge). Glad we were on a Voyager which can use 5/6.

16. Andyh82

Andyh82 Established Member

Is possible to couple together two Mk4 sets and run 18 coaches in one go?

17. najaB

najaB Veteran Member

I don't know if a single Class 91 can haul that much weight, but I suspect not.

18. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

At a guess, I would say it won't be a tested method. As alluded above, I also can't imagine a main power bus spanning the two sets either, so one would presumably have to be hauled dead, which isn't going to get very far very quickly

Had it been on the WCML, the Pendos have been tested in 18 car formation before (before lengthening) but I can't see that they would do that in service either