• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overhead wire problems... (again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Train services between Sandy and Peterborough are being disrupted due to overhead wire problems in the St Neots area.
Delays can be expected.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
or the Deltics with Mk1 coaches for Yorkie to do more heads out!!!

1288gaje said:
or the Deltics with Mk1 coaches for Yorkie to do more heads out!!!
Make I make a point that sticking your head out of train windows is highly dangerous and should not be done at any time!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Harry Potter said:
Why does it seem to be between Sandy & Peterborough all the time?
Well Sandy to Peterborough is about 32 miles (of course it seems less than that at 125mph!), but anywhere on the 4-track parts of the ECML is prone to OHLE problems because it was done on the cheap.

2 main problems:

1) Gantries not far enough apart
2) The way it's done (cables between gantry posts) is such that if the wires come down on just one line then it causes problems on all 4 lines.

Just compare the quality of gantries on the 4-track WCML to that on the ECML. :(

I blame the Tory Government at the time - they insisted BR did it out of their own funds, they didn't want to invest in the railways and wanted it doing on the cheap. Hopefully we'll not see the Tories in power ever again.

jonb

Established Member
What exactly is wrong with heads out? On Saturday we were told to get heads in even when we were stationary and could see the trains coming! Its all part of the fun IMO.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
jonb said:
What exactly is wrong with heads out? On Saturday we were told to get heads in even when we were stationary and could see the trains coming! Its all part of the fun IMO.
If you're sensible about it, nothing.

The person who said it should 'not be done at any time' has done it himself.

If it's at a low speed, and you're vigilant, then there isn't really a problem. After all, some guards are required to do that at stations to see the train off, and drivers sometimes have to do it, particularly on slam-door trains to check there isn't a problem getting away from stations.

At higher speeds people may say "heads out" but what they really mean is "stood right next the window and perhaps nose sticking out a little bit", which isn't really heads out but tends to be called that.

I may have done it, but I have seen what can happen and seen a few people with close calls. Oh and ifou can read, usually above the door it states that you should not stick you head out of the window

bunnahabhain

Established Member
yorkie said:
After all, some guards are required to do that at stations to see the train off, and drivers sometimes have to do it, particularly on slam-door trains to check there isn't a problem getting away from stations.

No offence, but saying that it's ok for Staff to do it, isnt a very good argument, for example "It's ok to drive at over 100mph, the Emergency Services do it".

Guards are required to do it to ensure that nobody falls under the train, and that the train can get out of the station safely, on most trains they try and work with the door open if it's possible as it allows them a better view along the train, however it isnt required, the Guard should only ever do it on the side the Platform is too.

At the Great Central we have this Disabled Person who likes to shove practically his whole Torso out of the window, and most of the Guards dont want to say anything incase the Railway is accused of doing that to Disabled people.

That's why Railwaymen dont like it, because if you get two people like that, then they could end up killing each other, and causing millions of pounds worth of delays.

I wont stop you, after all I'll confess to doing it, but I dont like people doing it dangerously.

Status
Not open for further replies.