• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overhead wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike C

... switching systems that get damned close to true sine waves....

We have found components that are fed off TAC lines on RER stock work fine when line volts drop, but on our train when the TAC drops guess what? They don't work. It is a symptom of what you describe. We have a workaround though...

Anyways in terms of traction power, now we are on high speed line the whole time, line volts issues are much rarer than they used to be.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Course if medium frequency transformers actually do arrive we might be able to have ladder converters that allow the effective transformer primary:secondary ratio to be changed on the fly.

transmanche

Established Member
Including Eurostar, which I imagine is heavier than a twelve coach commuter train, especially with all its safety modifications.

Indeed. I believe it definately drew more power then the slammers at the time they were introduced, however I'm not sure if it is the case with modern units.
IIRC, a 373 set only had about a quarter of the power output on 750V DC compared to 25kV AC (approx 4k hp versus 16k hp). Anyone know how many amps a 373 would draw?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
IIRC, a 373 set only had about a quarter of the power output on 750V DC compared to 25kV AC (approx 4k hp versus 16k hp). Anyone know how many amps a 373 would draw?

About four thousand in that case.
(Its one horsepower per amp on third rail)

Status
Not open for further replies.