• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight break of journey at Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

I'd like to travel as follows:

- from London to Southampton on Friday (evening peak)
- from Southampton to Bournemouth on Sat
- from Bournemouth to London on Sun

I'd like to use the Off Peak Return at £37.90 with Network Railcard.

Am I likely to experience difficulties on the Saturday with resuming my journey? either at the barriers or with the guard?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
The Off Peak Return allows you to have an overnight break of journey on the outward portion of the ticket and resume your travel next day. The outward portion expires at 04.30am (or is is 04.29am?) on day 3. Therefore, for what you propose to do you have a valid ticket. You just need to make sure that you stick to the time restrictions imposed on the ticket.

In terms of if you will have any problems, that is very much dependent on who you encounter. Sadly, not as many staff as should do know about the outward portion on Off Peak Returns being valid until 04.30 on day 3, provided outward travel does commence on day one.

tannedfrog

Thank you. I'm nervous of having to explain myself at the Southampton and Bournemouth barriers on Saturday so am thinking I might just buy London to Southampton Off Peak Return.

However for the Southampton to Bournemouth journey, there is no Off Peak Return - does anyone know of a ticket that is cheaper than buying a single on Saturday, and another single on Sunday?

paul1609

Established Member
Thank you. I'm nervous of having to explain myself at the Southampton and Bournemouth barriers on Saturday so am thinking I might just buy London to Southampton Off Peak Return.

However for the Southampton to Bournemouth journey, there is no Off Peak Return - does anyone know of a ticket that is cheaper than buying a single on Saturday, and another single on Sunday?
Chichester to Bournemouth Off peak return £ 27.80 less railcard discount.

gray1404

Established Member
I would take the view that my ticket is valid. If a member of staff disputes that then you can explain why it is valid. If they persist and you pay up for the ticket they say you should have then we will gladly help you on the forum here in requesting a refund and compensation.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What weekend will you be travelling - have you checked for any engineering works anywhere between Waterloo and Bournemouth during when you intend to travel?

bkhtele

Suggest you pick up the national rail explaining tickets at the ticket office. The off peak section is very clear that your proposal is allowed. Or print off the section fron the nat rail Web site.

tannedfrog

Thank you for the answers. The journey went fine the weekend just gone, with my break point as Southampton Airport Parkway so as to avoid suspicious barrier staff at Southampton Central.

The CrossCountry guard checked the ticket on the Saturday without comment. However I suspect he didn't notice that the date was a day out!

I did get the leaflet which ambiguously states "if you cannot complete your journey on the same day, you will be allowed to finish it the following day". I wouldn't have liked to have to explain why I could not complete the journey on the Friday given that I simply chose not to!

All this did result in my losing the option of buying a very good value PlusBus for Southampton on Friday, and for Bournemouth on Saturday.

gray1404

Established Member
You can buy Plusbus separate by asking for it at a booking office , they sometimes ask to see your train ticket.

bkhtele

"Cannot complete has been discussed on previous threads - cannot is based on customer choice not staff view. This was clarified by internal rail sources. Anyway It would be very difficult for a staff member to decide what was your bed time or how you would walk safely to your final destination from the station etc.........

Status
Not open for further replies.