• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight Break of Journey of Outward Portion of (super) off-peak ticket - Time restriction of first journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

Established Member
I know that it is permitted to have an overnight break of the journey of the outward portion of an off-peak ticket, which effectively making the outward leg be valid till 0429 day 3.
Is there any time requirement on the first leg of journey which triggers overnight break, for example, the last train of the day only (or to be any trains of the day and make a overnight break as you like?) ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is one of those things for which there is no 100% correct answer and you'll get a different response depending on who you ask, because unfortunately the railway chose a very awkward wording in the T&C rather than simply stating the ticket was valid until 0429 on day three.

My personal view is that, right or wrong, you will have issues if you do it for a journey you could easily complete in a day, and that the intention of it is just for if you "get stuck" because you left too late to get all the way / need to arrive earlier than is possible starting in the morning / because it involves a Sleeper (though that's not BoJ).

hkstudent

Established Member
This is one of those things for which there is no 100% correct answer and you'll get a different response depending on who you ask, because unfortunately the railway chose a very awkward wording in the T&C rather than simply stating the ticket was valid until 0429 on day three.

My personal view is that, right or wrong, you will have issues if you do it for a journey you could easily complete in a day, and that the intention of it is just for if you "get stuck" because you left too late to get all the way / need to arrive earlier than is possible starting in the morning / because it involves a Sleeper (though that's not BoJ).
Yeah, I think overnight BoJ was intended to help passengers with a need to arrive super early at the destination while the direct service is too late...
But I am kind of concerned about the ambiguity in the wordings which leads to different interpretations...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The outward portion of the ticket is actually valid until 04:29 on day 3. This was clarified by a very helpful member of this forum who, at the time the post linked to below was written was authoritative on the subject. There is no requirement to travel as far as you can etc.

bnm said:
I too am disappointed to note that the overnight BoJ rules for Off Peak/Super Off Peak Singles or the outward portion of Off Peak/Super Off Peak Returns appear to have removed the option for a passenger to break their journey if they wish.

These new rules seem to state that overnight BoJ is only to be permitted if the journey cannot be completed on day 1. That, according to Condition 11, isn't classed as a BoJ anyway.
Just to clear this up, you can choose where you break your journey overnight if you need to do so. You do not have to travel to the furthest possible point (after all, there might not be anywhere to stay there, so that would be daft!).

Break of journey used to be barred on the outward portion of Savers, but has been allowed since 2008 (since they became off-peak tickets) unless specifically restricted in the restriction code for the specific journey - this only applies to a small number of journeys.

So things are getting more flexible, not less!

A supplementary Q&A has been sent out to staff now to deal with some of the questions that have arisen, this will also hopefully clear up any confusion.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
MKB said:
From the staff briefing document (linked earlier), for Off-Peak/Super Off-Peak Single; (also Outward portions of Off-Peak/Super Off-Peak Returns):

Journey MUST commence on the date on the ticket. If the journey cannot be completed on first day, the ticket may be used to continue the journey on the following day. All travel must be completed by 0429 past midnight on the second day. Unless otherwise indicated in the relevant restriction code, the same time restrictions from the origin station apply on BOTH days.
I think the bit in bold means 04:29 on day two, not 04:29 on day three (since midnight, i.e. 00:00, is at the start of a day not the end). If so, then surely the new rules are clear that no travel at all is allowed after 04:29 on day 2, even if the journey could not be completed on day 1?
Er, it is actually meant to be 0429 on the third day. This has been clarified in the follow up Q&A sent out earlier this week. No-one spotted the confusing wording during the proof reading :oops:

Despite this, I would not expect a hassle free journey if you try to use a ticket on day 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.