• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight Break of Journey - Off Peak Day Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
I thought this was no longer permitted with a blanket 'all travel must be completed by 0429' on Off Peak Day Returns (CDRs).

However, I've been looking at various journeys on both WebTIS and thetrainline based booking engines and have found examples where after inputting a late night start time for the return journey I'm giving an option to continue travel the following morning after a break en route. Often the option being offered includes a resumption in the morning peak!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One possible explanation is that the TISes haven't yet incorporated the latest changes.

bnm

Established Member
That may well be but they're not even interpreting the old rules correctly.

FGWman

Yes but in those circumstances you are not actually breaking your journey.

If you travel on the last train of the day but are unable to get to your destination then travelling on the first train of the day to complete your journey has always been ok as you have not actually broken your journey.

bnm

Established Member
But the new rules for CDRs say all travel must be completed by 0429. So it shouldn't be possible any more.

wintonian

Established Member
An FGW guard told me the other day that overnight BoJ is still permitted, which confused me somewhat as I also have been under the impression that all travel must be completed by 04:30.

bkhtele

This was covered some time ago in the thread "Revised NRCOC" post #78 is particularly useful- I quote:
op said "I asked a question of ATOC in relation to overnight break of journey, in that the briefing document was not very clear and an example it gave contradicted what it said earlier. The response from ATOC is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOC
With regard to the specific question you have asked, the normal validity of the(Super) Off-Peak Single or outward portion of these Returns, will expire at 04:29 in the early morning after the start date shown on the ticket. This will in practice cover the vast majority of journeys, which is why we are continuing to state the normal validity as one day. In the few cases where the journey cannot be completed in this time, as an easement to that normal one day validity, customers are allowed to continue their journey on a second day, and must then complete that journey by 04:29 in the morning after this second day. However, time restrictions as shown in the restriction code will now apply on both days. This is a change from the current easement, which allows customers to break overnight and use the first train of the next day (even where this would normally be a restricted peak hour service)."
If you want all the debate the detail is there, my understanding from the thread is that staff q&a were sent out 9/11/11 to confirm.

It would be good if someone who knows could give us an official reference to quote if we are challenged.
Hope this helps

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
But that quote is about off-peak tickets, not off-peak day tickets, which is what we were discussing :)

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
See page 2 of the ATOC staff briefing linked to in that thread:
ATOC Staff Briefing on changes to ticket validity said:
Changes affect Anytime Single tickets, Off-Peak Single and Super Off-Peak Single tickets, and the OUTWARD portion of Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Return tickets.

Please note that Anytime DAY Singles and DAY Returns, Off-Peak DAY Singles and DAY Returns, Super Off-Peak DAY Singles and DAY Returns are not changing, except that they will be valid until 0429 in the morning after the date shown on the ticket. The outward portion of Anytime Return tickets will continue to be valid for 5 days and will expire at 0429 after the fifth day.

Interesting that it mentions specifically that day tickets were not changing. Which implies that you can keep on travelling after 0429 if you're already travelling and don't break your journey. But I seem to remember that elsewhere they said that validity was changing and all travel must be finished by 0430. As usual with ATOC, lots of contradictory information put out and it's very confusing.

wintonian

Established Member
and I thought it was 04:30, which could have been unfortunate as I nearly got the 04:05 from Slough on a 1 day travelcard to go back to Reading the other day and it dosn't arrive untill 04:30, however I didn't need to in the end. <(

Status
Not open for further replies.