• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight break of journey off peak return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico555

I have bought an off-peak return from Manchester stations to Edinburgh; the outward portion is dated Saturday 8th May. I'm confused about whether I can break my journey overnight on the outward trip. I'd like to stop overnight in Durham, and continue to trip on the morning of Sunday 9th. Is this possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I have bought an off-peak return from Manchester stations to Edinburgh; the outward portion is dated Saturday 8th May. I'm confused about whether I can break my journey overnight on the outward trip. I'd like to stop overnight in Durham, and continue to trip on the morning of Sunday 9th. Is this possible?
National Rail Enquiries (paragraph 4.4) states that
Off-Peak Singles and the outward portion of Off-Peak Returns are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket and until 04:29 the following morning. If the journey cannot be completed in this time, the ticket may be used to continue the journey on the following day.

There have been many threads debating what "journey cannot be completed in this time" means. All I can say is that you may face a fair amount of difficulty in having your ticket accepted by barriers, conductors or RPIs on the second day. Particularly since there are few circumstances in which it could be said that your journey "cannot be completed" within a day when there are direct 2-hourly services to Edinburgh...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can break your journey and there is no need to take the last train of the day or travel as far as possible in order to do so. Tat said, I would not necessarily expect a hassle free journey when continuing your journey on day 2.

plymothian

If you have an Off Peak Return (SVR), yes you can - and considering MAN - EDB doesn't have Off Peak Day Returns, yes you will.
Your outward portion is valid for either 1 or 2 days (depending on the ticket - there are 2 SVRs available between MAN- EDB, one has an outward validity of 1 day, the other 2 days)
Your return portion is valid for up to a month and break of journey is permitted in both directions.
As long as you are continuing in the same direction depending on the portion, you can break your journey as many times as you want within the ticket validity and resume subject to the ticket [time] restrictions.

It is perfecly valid, for example, to break you journey by traveling on day 1 and resuming on day 30 for example, but expect a lot of questioning if you did!

Veteran Member
If you have an Off Peak Return (SVR), yes you can - and considering MAN - EDB doesn't have Off Peak Day Returns, yes you will.
Your outward portion is valid for either 1 or 2 days (depending on the ticket - there are 2 SVRs available between MAN- EDB, one has an outward validity of 1 day, the other 2 days)
Your return portion is valid for up to a month and break of journey is permitted in both directions.
As long as you are continuing in the same direction depending on the portion, you can break your journey as many times as you want within the ticket validity and resume subject to the ticket [time] restrictions.

It is perfecly valid, for example, to break you journey by traveling on day 1 and resuming on day 30 for example, but expect a lot of questioning if you did!
I can only find one (route VIA YORK) that is valid via Durham. This (very usefully) specifically gives detail about restarting after overnight BOJ, but otherwise is valid 1 day outward.
https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=MAN&dest=EDB&grpo=0438&rte=95&tkt=SVR

island

Veteran Member
Nothing in the terms and conditions prevents this, but some poorly-informed staff might.

Status
Not open for further replies.