• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight break of journey query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

On Saturday I am visiting my friend in London to see a show then staying at her house in Guildford on the way home and returning a next day. I have booked a Goldcard off peak return booked for Southampton Parkway to London (out to Paddington via Reading to avoid Waterloo). What extra would I need to cover the break of journey on the way home to Guildford. Would a ticket from Woking to Guildford cover me (in conjunction with the first leg of the return, completing the second leg the next day).
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
I have booked a Goldcard off peak return booked for Southampton Parkway to London ... . What extra would I need to cover the break of journey on the way home to Guildford.
You don't need any extra ticket to break the journey on the return leg when using a £29.45 Standard Gold Card Off-Peak Return SOUTHAMPTON AIR - LONDON TERMINALS Route ANY PERMITTED at any station on any permitted route between an appropriate London Terminal and Southampton Airport Parkway.

The National Routeing Guide tells us that Guildford lies on a permitted route between Southampton Group and London Group using map PD. This would allow you to break the return leg of your journey overnight at Guildford and to travel at no extra cost the next day from Guildford to Southampton Airport Parkway. But there are two problems with doing this.

Firstly, map PD does not allow travel from Paddington. You would still be able to make the outward leg of your journey to Paddington via Reading using a different combination of maps, but on the return leg you would need to travel via Barnes, Wimbledon or Elephant & Castle. In effect, this means using one of the former Southern Region terminals in London.

Secondly, if using map PD to continue the return leg of your journey on the second day from Guidford to Southampton Airport Parkway, you must travel via Havant. You can't travel via Basingstoke.

If returning from a former Southern Region terminal and/or travelling via Havant is inconvenient, you would need to buy additional tickets.
What extra would I need to cover the break of journey on the way home to Guildford. Would a ticket from Woking to Guildford cover me?
You would need tickets valid from Woking to Guildford on day 1 and from Guildford to Woking on day 2. There are no return tickets available with validity for more than one day for this short journey. A Gold Card Standard Single Woking - Guildford costs £2.50. The next day Guildford - Woking would also cost £2.50, unless travel is before the Gold Card discount becomes available, in which case it would cost £3.80.

Fiyero

Thank you John @ Home for the detailed answer. The Saturday evening we plan to get to Guildford from Waterloo, happy to come home from Guildford any route, so via Havant sounds fun. Would that work without extra tickets?

John @ home

Established Member
via Havant sounds fun. Would that work without extra tickets?
Yes. The return leg of a £29.45 Standard Gold Card Off-Peak Return SOUTHAMPTON AIR - LONDON TERMINALS Route ANY PERMITTED ticket is permitted by map PD, which allows:
  • London Group - Clapham Jn - Wimbledon - Raynes Park - New Malden - Surbiton
then
  • Surbiton - Weybridge - Woking - Guildford
or
  • Surbiton - Effingham Jn - Guildford
followed by
  • Guildford - Havant - Portsmouth Group - Southampton Group.
It is not necessary to travel via Portsmouth. Portsmouth Group comprises Bedhampton, Cosham, Fareham, Fratton, Hilsea, Portchester, Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour. Southampton Group comprises Southampton Airport Parkway, Southampton Central, St Denys and Swaythling.

This ticket has Restriction Code US which does not impose any restriction on break of journey when using an Off-Peak Return (SVR).

Would someone be able to summarise or simply explain what types of ticket would be eligible for an Overnight BoJ and what it actually means?

Status
Not open for further replies.