• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight break of journey - Restriction 9F

Status
Not open for further replies.

district

The fare conditions on my TIS for a Super Off Peak return (restriction 9F) say the following;
Overnight break of journey - if the journey cannot be completed in this time, the ticket may be used to continue the journey on the following day.
Is my interpretation of this correct that you cannot choose to break your journey overnight, that you are only able to do this if the timetable does not allow the journey to be completed in the day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
I am not seeing precisely those words at nre.co.uk/9F, which we are told is the definitive source. That page shows:
"Restriction Code 9F
Applicable days - Mondays to Fridays
Outward Travel
Not valid on trains timed to depart:
  • London Terminals (except as shown below) after 02:59 and before 09:06 and after 14:59 and before 18:59 (18:15 on Fridays);
  • London Liverpool Street after 04:29 and before 09:30 and after 16:29 and before 18:34;
  • London St Pancras International after 04:29 and before 10:29 and after 15:15 and before 18:59;
  • London Euston after 04:29 and before 09:05;
  • Stevenage after 02:59 and before 09:19 and after 15:07 and before 19:01 (18:35 on Fridays);
  • Luton or Luton Airport Parkway after 04:29 and before 10:26 and after 15:15 and before 18:59;
  • Bedford after 04:29 and before 10:30;
  • Watford Junction after 04:29 and before 09:00;
  • Milton Keynes Central after 04:29 and before 09:00.
Return Travel
Not valid on trains timed to arrive:
  • London Terminals (except as shown below) after 04:29 and before 11:17;
  • London Liverpool Street after 04:29 and before 10:00;
  • London St Pancras International after 04:29 and before 11:26;
  • London Euston after 04:29 and before 10:05, except on Caledonian Sleepers (with supplement);
  • Stevenage after 04:29 and before 10:55;
  • Luton or Luton Airport Parkway after 04:29 and before 10:26;
  • Bedford after 04:29 and before 10:30;
  • Watford Junction after 04:29 and before 09:00;
  • Milton Keynes Central after 04:29 and before 09:00.
Notes
Overnight Break of Journey, restarting journey from an intermediate station: Outward (on day 2) - outward morning restrictions as above apply from/via the stations shown above. Recommencing from any other station en route that is north of the stations shown above must be on trains timed to depart 09:30 or later.

For journeys on CrossCountry services via Birmingham use restriction code 2V or 8X as appropriate.

For journeys from the Cambridge area via Ely, or for journeys not via London or Stevenage, restriction 3V applies.

Seasonal variations
On Friday 23rd August 2019, northbound evening restrictions will be lifted on board LNER services departing London Kings Cross and Stevenage.

Normal restrictions will continue to apply in the southbound direction.

Usual time restrictions apply to other Train Operator's services and TfL tickets unless advised otherwise."
Is the note on break of journey in this version helpful to district?

Last edited:

district

That’s really helpful thank you. I think perhaps it just poor wording on the part of whichever source feeds the TIS I were using. The wording is in my favour as in this case I am the passenger!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is my interpretation of this correct that you cannot choose to break your journey overnight, that you are only able to do this if the timetable does not allow the journey to be completed in the day?
No, your interpretation is wrong. It does not say that you cannot choose to be in this situation and it is not clear how anyone could decide that finding the journey could not be completed was intentional or not.

district

No, your interpretation is wrong. It does not say that you cannot choose to be in this situation and it is not clear how anyone could decide that finding the journey could not be completed was intentional or not.
Yeah I did think that it’d be very tricky to determine that. Thanks for your reply, I’m glad my interpretation was wrong.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The passenger can choose whether to break their journey overnight. There is no requirement to travel on the last train, or get as far as you can etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.