• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight Periodical Closures

Status
Not open for further replies.

littledude

Hello,

Falling asleep listening to the sound of freight trains passing through Mexborough, more so than usual, has left me pondering something...

There are two lots of diversions tonight: firstly, the line between Aldwarke Jn and Moorthorpe is closed, so all traffic has to run via Thrybergh and Mexborough, and secondly the line between Wrawby and Toton (somewhere) is closed, meaning oil trains to and from Humberside are also heading this way. This combined means that there’s a pretty respectable number of freights along my local line between here and Doncaster, far more than would usually pass overnight.

A quick search back over 6M35’s history shows that every 7 weeks the oil trains come this way overnight, I’m not sure about the closure through Swinton, the ‘double’ diversions may just be coincidental.

My question is, is there a publicised list/document somewhere highlighting when each route has scheduled overnight maintenance, and the intervals for closure? I’m not sure if 7 weeks is some kind of norm, or whether it changes depending on factors of the individual route.

Any information would be greatly received!

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
At a first guess I would imagine that the seven week frequency is more down to a scheduled amendment to maintain route knowledge over the diversionary route than in relation to a closure happening at a frequent interval.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
See this thread - there are cyclical mid-week possessions on many lines, called section 5s (after the part of the Engineering Access Statement in which they are disseminated). Usually they occur every 6 or 12 weeks and are coordinated across the network to ensure there is an alternative route available for important through traffic.

The Engineering Access Statement can be found here on Network Rail's website.

The detail of exact possession limits (signal or point numbers) etc. is found in the Draft and then the Confirmed Period Possession Plan (DPPP and CPPP), but these are not on NR's public website (I'm not sure they would be released under FoI either).

Having the section 5s every 6 weeks does help a little in retaining route knowledge but if that's the only issue at stake, train operators can simply divert their services as and when required.

Last edited:

littledude

See this thread - there are cyclical mid-week possessions on many lines, called section 5s (after the part of the Engineering Access Statement in which they are disseminated). Usually they occur every 6 or 12 weeks and are coordinated across the network to ensure there is an alternative route available for important through traffic.

The Engineering Access Statement can be found here on Network Rail's website.

The detail of exact possession limits (signal or point numbers) etc. is found in the Draft and then the Confirmed Period Possession Plan (DPPP and CPPP), but these are not on NR's public website (I'm not sure they would be released under FoI either).

Having the section 5s every 6 weeks does help a little in retaining route knowledge but if that's the only issue at stake, train operators can simply divert their services as and when required.
That’s absolutely fantastic, exactly what I was after! Thank you ever so much.

Cheers

Rail Ranger

There is a night-time possession of the Mid Cheshire Line every six weeks, when late night trains are replaced by buses.

Romsey

EAS section 4 will show the frequency and / or week numbers for regular possessions.

It's not particularly meaningful on Kent, Sussex and Wessex where section 5 ( weeknight) work is planned in a manner similar to weekends covered by section 7.

Eloise

Technically Section 4s are possession opportunities. They don't have to be taken but (should) have no trains booked during the stated times. It is therefore non-disruptive so if maintenance want to go in they can and they don't have to negotiate access with operators

Status
Not open for further replies.