• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overnight steam tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Wasn't aware overnight trains were run as tours but another thread on here shows they are.

Are any ever run by steam train or ever likely to be? I'd love to do one by steam. As I've done sleeper services so don't feel such a need to do other diesel hauled services at night, even if over unusual track or hauled by unusual classes of diesels.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
As a proper night owl/unofficial insomniac, I might have to go and hang out around the SVR on Saturday night! Seems like a right novelty. Looks like a Manor class loco is doing the overnight turn.

Thanks for the heads up blackwatch. :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As a proper night owl/unofficial insomniac, I might have to go and hang out around the SVR on Saturday night! Seems like a right novelty. Looks like a Manor class loco is doing the overnight turn.

Thanks for the heads up blackwatch. :)

was thinking of going myself but i cant really afford sadly - have fun!

sprinterguy

Established Member
That's great. Hopefully they will run it again as I'm busy this weekend.
All the Autumn Steam Galas at the SVR in the last few years have featured overnight running, and in fact I could swear that the overnight service is becoming more comprehensive year on year. I can't recall whether they provide a similar feature during the Spring Gala.

I've never pulled an overnighter at the SVR, but the later evening services during the gala have been a godsend, avoiding the need to leg it back to Bridgnorth station for half 5.

the sniper

Established Member
I ended up rallying up and down the valley chasing the trains between Kidderminster and Arley. What a great novelty! Standing on the platform as the trains appeared out of and disappeared into the fog and darkness, it really was quite something.

It looked like there was a good 40+ passengers on each train riding out the whole night. Got to say it looked pretty cosy, particularly on the train formed of LNER stock. I'm not sure I could have slept on there though like most of them!

I'll have to make a trip on the SVR just to pay them for the night's entertainment. :p Thanks again for the heads up.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I ended up rallying up and down the valley chasing the trains between Kidderminster and Arley. What a great novelty! Standing on the platform as the trains appeared out of and disappeared into the fog and darkness, it really was quite something.

It looked like there was a good 40+ passengers on each train riding out the whole night. Got to say it looked pretty cosy, particularly on the train formed of LNER stock. I'm not sure I could have slept on there though like most of them!

I'll have to make a trip on the SVR just to pay them for the night's entertainment. [emoji14] Thanks again for the heads up.
That sounds great. I really hope it was a success and that I get the chance to do it one year. I've always wanted to take an overnight steam train.

The favourite service in terms of name and imagination, as I never took it, is the Night Scotsmen.

Taunton

Established Member
Overnight enthusiast tours are not unknown on some urban systems overseas, being out of the way of the regular operation, and in some cases mixed in with normal all-night services. Both Paris and New York have done Metro/Subway tours on oddball routes crossing between lines all through the night, there are doubtless others.

Status
Not open for further replies.