• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overseas buses for the UK market

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb88

I can't help but think that there is very little variety in the UK bus market these days in terms of what is available. Bored of seeing endless Enviro MMCs and Streetlites. Got me wondering what buses currently not available in the UK people would like to see over here?

I'd love to see a right hand drive version of the Solaris Urbino. The Mk4 version looks really cool I think.Solaris-Urbino-12-2.jpg

Quite like the VDL Citea as well.

1200px-GVB_1101-I.jpeg.jpg

Any others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd quite like to see Dutch-style mid-engined buses with front and rear (not middle) doors. Very efficient operation on busy routes there. I believe VDL do some examples.

carlberry

Established Member
I'd quite like to see Dutch-style mid-engined buses with front and rear (not middle) doors. Very efficient operation on busy routes there. I believe VDL do some examples.
Are they capable of passing our regulations if they're mid-engined?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not directly, but getting Flat floors / DDA compliance is usually the governing factor.

A benefit of the mid-engined vehicles you see in the Netherlands is that there is usually a flat low floor throughout. Electric transmission and eventually battery operation will ease this further - no need for a live beam axle, for example, when you can just have a motor on each wheel.

carlberry

Established Member
A benefit of the mid-engined vehicles you see in the Netherlands is that there is usually a flat low floor throughout. Electric transmission and eventually battery operation will ease this further - no need for a live beam axle, for example, when you can just have a motor on each wheel.
How can you have a low floor (as specified in the UK) with a mid engineed vehicle without it's configured like an AEC Q chassis which will take up more seats than a rear engined configuration would?

TR673

Scania Citywide... is literally just a renamed, facelifted Omnicity/Omnilink, which they already had developed RHD versions of and sold successfully in the UK. I know the market for heavy, 12m single deckers isn't huge but if they offered different variants of diesel, electric, CNG (which is already a proven product as shown by E300 bodied K-series) I'm sure they'd be able to stir up some interest. Scania have an existing sales and aftermarket network in the UK, their gas powered double decker is sold here by Alexander Dennis as the Enviro 400 CBG... while simultaneously leaving a gap in the market by not offering an MMC version of the E300 on 3rd party chassis; besides anything political there's no reason why British operators shouldn't have the Citywide as an option, and I fail to understand why it isn't available.
Sure they may be a bit uglier than their predecessors, but I'd like to see some Citywide LEs or LFs over here.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please also see this thread for previous discussion:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How can you have a low floor (as specified in the UK) with a mid engineed vehicle without it's configured like an AEC Q chassis which will take up more seats than a rear engined configuration would?

The engine bay (vertically mounted on the ones I've seen, I think) takes up about a bay (i.e. 2 rows) of seats. Yes, that's less space efficient than having the floor go up at the back and putting it under that, but it does allow a low floor throughout. I'm not quite sure how the transmission works to fit, though.

Markk1990

Scania Citywide... is literally just a renamed, facelifted Omnicity/Omnilink, which they already had developed RHD versions of and sold successfully in the UK. I know the market for heavy, 12m single deckers isn't huge but if they offered different variants of diesel, electric, CNG (which is already a proven product as shown by E300 bodied K-series) I'm sure they'd be able to stir up some interest. Scania have an existing sales and aftermarket network in the UK, their gas powered double decker is sold here by Alexander Dennis as the Enviro 400 CBG... while simultaneously leaving a gap in the market by not offering an MMC version of the E300 on 3rd party chassis; besides anything political there's no reason why British operators shouldn't have the Citywide as an option, and I fail to understand why it isn't available.
Sure they may be a bit uglier than their predecessors, but I'd like to see some Citywide LEs or LFs over here.
It's actually a decent looking bus. A lot of black which doesn't seem very popular in the UK but I agree, seems little reason why it isn't sold to uK operators other than the fact its a heavyweight.

Man of Kent

The engine bay (vertically mounted on the ones I've seen, I think) takes up about a bay (i.e. 2 rows) of seats. Yes, that's less space efficient than having the floor go up at the back and putting it under that, but it does allow a low floor throughout. I'm not quite sure how the transmission works to fit, though.
I think the bus you are referring to is a Van Hool New A300. There's a short Youtube clip, which towards the end, shows part of the interior layout including the side-mounted engine
Earlier Van Hools also featured side engines (including the little A308 midibuses that could be found in all sorts of corners of Europe).

However, all of the examples I am aware of have centre doors as well as a rear set. And I think the model itself has not been available for around 10 years - certainly Van Hool's own website no longer shows it, offering only conventionally rear-engined buses instead.

Last edited:

johnw

I believe Scania didn’t offer the Citywide for the UK market due to its partnership with ADL.

L401CJF

Established Member
I've spend a fair bit of time riding the buses around Berlin, have to say I find their buses much more interesting than ours! I quite like the Solaris buses.

Not to mention the 70s/80s/90s MAN SD200/202 series deckers which are knocking around on Sightseeing tours and Traditionsbus Berlin preserved examples on BVGs 218 route.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The only reason European buses often have fully low floors is due to them being three door. There's not demand for a three door bus in the UK market so the need for a low floor right to the back doesn't exist. It's also somewhat of an irrelevant idea most of the time. Look at the Volvo B7L / Wright Eclipse for example. The floor is low right to the rear but you still have to go up a step to get to the seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.