• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford - Ansdell & Fairhaven 09/12/11-12/12/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Established Member
Hi, I'm looking to go to Ansdell over the weekend of 09/12-12/12 and am looking to see if I can do this relatively cheaply. On Saturday 10/12 I will also be going to Morecambe from Ansdell (return £12.70), so if that factors in a rover, then all to the good.

So far as I can see, the best price with reasonable flexibility is £72.60 (Oxford-Banbury, Banbury-Ansdell), but does tie me to a fixed outward train, which I'm happy with. Also happy to go via Manchester or Warrington or any other route (eg: Chester-Liverpool-Ormskirk). I only have a Network Card and will be travelling Off-Peak.

Is there any better price out there at all? Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you are happy to be restricted to the slower London Midland trains between the North West and the West Midlands, you could consider splitting at Banbury, Coventry, Rugby/Nuneaton and Liverpool. The Super Off-Peak Return between Rugby/Nuneaton and Liverpool Stations is only £17 and should produce quite a decent saving overall. (Can't check as I don't have Avantix on me at the moment but someone else should be able to provide you with the prices soon.)

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
If you are happy to be restricted to the slower London Midland trains between the North West and the West Midlands, you could consider splitting at Banbury, Coventry, Rugby/Nuneaton and Liverpool. The Super Off-Peak Return between Rugby/Nuneaton and Liverpool Stations is only £17 and should produce quite a decent saving overall. (Can't check as I don't have Avantix on me at the moment but someone else should be able to provide you with the prices soon.)

The best I can see on this route is as follows:
£59.70 (saving £15.70)

Off Peak Return
OXFORD to LEAMINGTON SPA
Fare £15.80
Route ANY PERMITTED
Restriction 2V

Off Peak Return
LEAMINGTON SPA to TAMWORTH
Fare £13.20
Route ANY PERMITTED
Restriction CS

Super Off Peak Return
TAMWORTH to LIVERPOOL STNS
Fare £14.50
Route ANY PERMITTED
Restriction LK

Anytime Return
LIVERPOOL STNS to ANSDELL & FAIRHN
Fare £16.20
Route ANY PERMITTED

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The best I can see on this route is as follows (but your train would need to stop at Liverpool South Parkway)

Isn't Nuneaton/Rugby - Liverpool LM Only costing about £17 on an OPR iirc?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Isn't Nuneaton/Rugby - Liverpool LM Only costing about £17 on an OPR iirc?

Yep - but it's the same price from Liverpool South Parkway to Ansdell as from Liverpool to Ansdell, and ticketing around Leamington and Banbury makes it cheaper to split at Tamworth (from what I can see, and bearing in mind the OP needs a period return).

Edit: also because the tickets are any permitted, the OP could go via Birmingham, if he chose.
Edit2: just seen that Tamworth to Liverpool is also £14.50 so a stop at Parkway isn't need. Adjusted the tickets above.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Ah, OK. I see the XC-pricing factor working here on even short-distance fares.

Buttsy

Established Member
Thanks a lot!

So based on what you've said, I take it the minimum changes I can make are Tamworth, Lime Street & Preston (subject to suitable through services)?

Gathursty

Established Member
Suggesting Liverpool as a splitting point seems prima facie a bit wrong at least by looking at a map. What about splitting at Crewe instead and then you could remain on the WCML to go up to Preston rather than going to Liverpool and back out again either via Wigan or Ormskirk?

Lampshade

Established Member
Suggesting Liverpool as a splitting point seems prima facie a bit wrong at least by looking at a map. What about splitting at Crewe instead and then you could remain on the WCML to go up to Preston rather than going to Liverpool and back out again either via Wigan or Ormskirk?

CDRs aren't available from Crewe to Preston/Blackpool, although most people know the right ticket to buy ;)

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

The ticket from Tamworth to Liverpool is particularly cheap (as are all LM super off peak returns in that area) and that's the key to getting a reasonable price.

Even if we use tickets that start/end short, it's difficult to get close to the price going through Liverpool and the OP seems to be interested in price rather than route.

Buttsy

Established Member
It is price, as £60 makes it comparable with driving up there, which would cost me £50 in fuel alone and who knows how long in time on a Friday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.