• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford Circus station graffiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan2019

Seems suspicious to me how they could get in Oxford Circus and have enough time to do all that damage. Looks so similar to the dds attack at Camden some years ago. Was cctv working? I would have thought the cctv system would be remotely monitored for security reasons during closed periods.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One of the feasible ways you can get in, if they are Urbex then they'll have no issue climbing down heights, is pop in via one of the parts of the sub-surface where its open aired, like the Met at Baker Street.
Seeing as I mentioned urbexers, I should clarify that I wasn't intending to tar all participants in that hobby with the same brush. One of the unwritten rules of Urban Exploration is "Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints" but clearly not everyone subscribes to this unfortunately.
Going back a few years thee was a lot of speculation that TOX must be staff because of the locations he accessed, it turned out that he wasn't.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more pushback at the suggestion that it must have been staff who did this. Obviously it can't be ruled out entirely, but with little or no evidence for it such a suggestion is speculative at best. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I was an LU employee and felt that myself or my colleagues were under suspicion.

Seems suspicious to me how they could get in Oxford Circus and have enough time to do all that damage. Looks so similar to the dds attack at Camden some years ago. Was cctv working? I would have thought the cctv system would be remotely monitored for security reasons during closed periods.
Mentioned upthread that CCTV cameras had been obscured or deactivated, presumably by the person or persons who carried out the vandalism.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mentioned upthread that CCTV cameras had been obscured or deactivated, presumably by the person or persons who carried out the vandalism.

But surely that would have sounded "alarm bells" in the CCTV control centre (unless the CCTV monitoring equipment was in the station control room which was closed)?

Trainfan2019

But surely that would have sounded "alarm bells" in the CCTV control centre (unless the CCTV monitoring equipment was in the station control room which was closed)?
Exactly! I'd have thought the cctv would be monitored offsite though.

Ladder23

Established Member
Looking at “Urbex” exploration on google I've found some interesting trips where going round the system was a success, including Aldwych. I would guess the tunnels are explored way more than what the average joe thinks!

Trackman

Established Member
Looking at “Urbex” exploration on google I've found some interesting trips where going round the system was a success, including Aldwych. I would guess the tunnels are explored way more than what the average joe thinks!
Reminds me of this story from the Independent.
You've got be bonkers to run through Tube tunnels with trains running or not, but again youngsters think they are immortal.
They entered through Russell Square station. For 10 minutes, the four of them sprinted along the tracks of the Piccadilly line towards a disused tunnel at Holborn. Their prize: a sight of one of the great trophies of London's urban exploration scene – the abandoned platforms of Aldwych tube station.

The expedition last year was supposed to be the second last stop in a tour of the capital's 18 "ghost" tube stations. Instead it has sparked a legal battle over the human rights of a community of photographers dedicated to visually documenting restricted areas across the world – and pointing out security loopholes.

To avoid a regular tube service, the explorers chose Easter Monday – four days before the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. Above ground, one of the biggest security operations in the history of the Metropolitan police was swinging into action at an estimated cost of £20m. Officers searched lampposts and traffic lights for hidden bombs; 35 sniffer dogs scoured for traces of explosives; armed commandos trained to counter gun attacks and squads of police monitored the internet for potential plots.

And below the city, four members of the London Consolidation Crew exploration collective were running on the tracks. Their expedition was between 2am and 3am, when only maintenance trains are in use. But as one explorer, Otter, wrote on his website, Silent UK: "At any moment the track on which we stood could have gone live, its guest of honour a 40mph mass of iron and steel singing our last goodbyes."

From Holborn they noticed the rails turn rusty and saw piles of flyers collecting at the tunnel's edges. And then, like hikers who'd reached the best view from the mountain, they saw the forest-green tiles of the platform edge.

For the next four hours they photographed the ticket halls, deserted walkways and antique lift system. Like their other trips – to the roof of St Paul's cathedral, the London Olympic Stadium, Battersea power station – they were careful to leave things as they found them; graffiti is taboo for urban explorers. When the battery on their camera went flat, they got ready to leave. They were interrupted by a shout: "Get on the ground!"

CCTV operators had alerted British transport police, who had issued a terror alert. After infiltrating 200 sites across the city over 10 years and getting away with it, they were busted.

"Normally we would have been dished off to the graffiti squad," Otter says. "But because of the wedding we ended up with detectives much higher up."

The explorers were put in cells and interviewed. Their laptops, cameras and hard drives were confiscated. Otter says: "The police pretty quickly realised our intentions and let us go with a caution."

Three months later an unassociated group of explorers was arrested after accidently derailing a small electric train on a one-off joyride on London's mail rail, a 23-mile underground network that carried post until 2003. The incident sparked an ongoing court case alleging damage to government property and aggravating vehicle taking.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm surprised that a station like Oxford Circus isn't manned, even on Christmas Day.

In terms of how the offenders gained access:
- they could have walked the tunnels from an appropriate access point
- did the break in via external door, shutter or ventilation shaft (interestingly at least one of the entrances was closed yesterday when I passed (not sure if this is relevant?))
- did they hide in the station after the last service on Christmas Eve (in other words how thorough was the station checked for people when it was locked up?)

I've no inside knowledge but I doubt the CCTV is remotely monitored. A station like Oxford Circus would have its own control room that is staffed 24/364 where the stations CCTV cameras can be viewed. I doubt LUL would go to the expense of setting up a control room to monitor CCTV cameras for just one day a year.

DavyCrocket

I'm surprised that a station like Oxford Circus isn't manned, even on Christmas Day.

- did the break in via external door, shutter or ventilation shaft (interestingly at least one of the entrances was closed yesterday when I passed (not sure if this is relevant?))
- did they hide in the station after the last service on Christmas Eve (in other words how thorough was the station checked for people when it was locked up?)

I've no inside knowledge but I doubt the CCTV is remotely monitored. A station like Oxford Circus would have its own control room that is staffed 24/364 where the stations CCTV cameras can be viewed. I doubt LUL would go to the expense of setting up a control room to monitor CCTV cameras for just one day a year.

CCTV for a large number of stations can be monitored from some other locations at all times they are staffed

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
CCTV for a large number of stations can be monitored from some other locations at all times they are staffed
And the London Underground Control Centre has access to replay and watch live CCTV at most stations, as does the BTP CCTV suite.

py_megapixel

Established Member
And the London Underground Control Centre has access to replay and watch live CCTV at most stations, as does the BTP CCTV suite.
But presumably there wouldn't always be someone watching those specific cameras in real time, especially not on Dec 25th, so by the time they noticed that they had been blocked it could well have been far too late to send anyone down there.

Tallguy

I know quite a bit about CCTV but not about the CCTV that LUL uses. In general;

CCTV can be remotely monitored from anywhere if the system is set up to allow it.
Not all CCTV has motion detection.

As I understand it, LUL CCTV on the stations records 24/7 and I doubt it was switched off for a Xmas day, but it is clear no one was monitoring it. I suspect remote monitoring facilities were unstaffed on Xmas day.

So how did they get in?

1. Hid until everyone had left on Xmas eve and then exited via the tunnels or broke out via the station itself.
2. Walked along the tunnels from a surface access point. Exited the same way.
3. Entry via a vent shaft or emergency access point. Exit the same way.
4. Inside help from staff.

If they exited via the station then they would have passed dozens of cameras, many of which would have filmed them before they could obscure them. Inside help from staff is unlikely in my opinion.

To me, they got there via a track walk, got to Oxford Circus and kept to specific areas where they obscured the cameras whilst their faces were covered. Where they gained access? Probably from a tunnel mouth then a walk along the tracks. If they did this the platform CCTV at the stations they passed through should have captured some images which will ultimately establish where they entered the network And the time.

but maybe they did access via a suitable emergency access point?

Trackman

Established Member
But presumably there wouldn't always be someone watching those specific cameras in real time, especially not on Dec 25th, so by the time they noticed that they had been blocked it could well have been far too late to send anyone down there.
yes, there are over 15,000 CCTV cameras on the underground alone, what kind of staffing would they have in CCTV control on Christmas day?
If a camera did go 'blank' or whatever they would just put it down to a fault or something, as it's the norm.
As for motion detectors, I bet the rats are more active at night thinking about it.

bramling

Veteran Member

You are almost certainly on the right lines with the vent shaft theory, bear in mind there are mid-tunnel ones across the system including in that area. In most cases the access isn’t the sort of thing you or I would want to do (long vertical ladders), but some do have stairs.

CCTV on the Underground can be remotely monitored, so on one level it’s surprising this wasn’t picked up, but of course it’s impossible to monitor every camera all the time. One presumes that sort of graffiti would be done pretty quickly.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
yes, there are over 15,000 CCTV cameras on the underground alone, what kind of staffing would they have in CCTV control on Christmas day?
If a camera did go 'blank' or whatever they would just put it down to a fault or something, as it's the norm.
As for motion detectors, I bet the rats are more active at night thinking about it.
There isn’t a “CCTV control” room as such. The London Underground Control Centre can watch cameras at most stations, and the line control rooms have access to certain cameras also, as does the BTP. CCTV can also be watched at the individual stations and a small number can watch the cameras at adjacent stations.

CCTV is usually replayed following an incident, this can be done locally at all stations and remotely for the majority.
So has it all been cleaned up? Or does it need am overnight possession for this?
Most cleaned / removed bar a few poster frames that need replacing. Doesn’t require a possession as can be done overnight between close of traffic and start of traffic.

Turtle

There isn’t a “CCTV control” room as such. The London Underground Control Centre can watch cameras at most stations, and the line control rooms have access to certain cameras also, as does the BTP. CCTV can also be watched at the individual stations and a small number can watch the cameras at adjacent stations.

CCTV is usually replayed following an incident, this can be done locally at all stations and remotely for the majority.

Most cleaned / removed bar a few poster frames that need replacing. Doesn’t require a possession as can be done overnight between close of traffic and start of traffic.
As a general point, from a lay person's perspective, it does seem strange that a massive public facility like Oxford Circus station is abandoned and unstaffed at any time.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As a general point, from a lay person's perspective, it does seem strange that a massive public facility like Oxford Circus station is abandoned and unstaffed at any time.
It’s Christmas Day night! Would be very hard and costly to find staff to sit around at all stations doing nothing.
Interesting viewpoint however, because I often meet people who are surprised that LU stations are staffed overnight even when no trains are running.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Was Kings Cross St Pancras targeted as well? I noticed this on the Piccadilly Line escalators this morning.

1609443332889.png

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No it wasn’t, just Oxford Cir

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Was Kings Cross St Pancras targeted as well? I noticed this on the Piccadilly Line escalators this morning.
I've seen escalators in that state at various stations for quite some time now, including Waterloo before the original lockdown.

sharpley

There were a couple of break-ins to ticket offices a few years ago on Christmas day. Neasden was done one xmas day, the doors on the rear of the MFM (large ticket machine aka Multi Fare Machine) were cut off with an angle grinder. Dollis Hill was done the following christmas.

Can remember one xmas that a platform at Camden Town was covered along its entire length in graffiti.

EDIT ; Camden Town graffiti can be seen here.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If Hatton Garden vaults can be stripped of their valuables by a bunch of old 'geezers' over a Long Good Friday (plus the other days of a long Easter weekend), following a few decades after the similar Lloyds Bank job at Baker Street using those same days as cover, it doesn't surprise me one jot that clever, but anti-social, people can plan to gain access to Oxford Circus platforms, taking advantage of the Christmas Day closure which, of course, extends into the late Christmas Eve/early Boxing Day hours if needed. The Great Train Robbers had information at their fingertips from someone (maybe more than one ) who had knowledge of driving steam trains, and the rudiments of the signalling system on the relevant piece of track. British Railways became obsessed with the thought that 'one of their own' could have provided relevant info, which is ridiculous considering the huge number of personnel and ex-personnel they had. LUL too shouldn't be thinking 'it's inconceivable one of our own could be behind this.' Someone (more likely two or three, possibly more) was, and might even have deliberately applied for a job in order to gain the info/expertise required to pull this off. No blame would attach to LUL imo if this was the case. As a general observation, all the operations mentioned above not only took advantage of our society's observance of ritualised holiday periods but of 'human nature' if you like. How often would a bored, low paid employee whose job was to keep an eye on banks of CCTV cameras, and perhaps resentful of having to work on Christmas Day, decide 'right, must check every Oxford Circus platform in great detail now' during his/her shift? I'll leave the question hanging in the air.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I dont know why people think it is an insider, or someone deliberately applying for a job. A quick google will often reveal enough details about what rail not to walk on when walking through tunnels.

Trackman

Established Member
There were a couple of break-ins to ticket offices a few years ago on Christmas day. Neasden was done one xmas day, the doors on the rear of the MFM (large ticket machine aka Multi Fare Machine) were cut off with an angle grinder. Dollis Hill was done the following christmas.

Can remember one xmas that a platform at Camden Town was covered along its entire length in graffiti.

EDIT ; Camden Town graffiti can be seen here.
BBC reckon they entered Camden Town via the tunnels. Must have been a long walk.

edit: There's a you-tube video about it. Not going to embed here as it starts with bad language- just search for it.

Lucan

Established Member
I dont know why people think it is an insider, or someone deliberately applying for a job. A quick google will often reveal enough details about what rail not to walk on when walking through tunnels.
I knew which were the live rails from about the age of 8, living in South London, when I was old enough to ask my dad "What are all the rails are for?". It amazes me that there can be any adults of sound mind who do not recognise electric rails (or catenary). The insulators are a clue. I'm sure that anyone smart enough to know how to get into an underground station illicitly is more than smart enough to recognise a live rail. OTOH perhaps they were not aware that there could have been engineering trains running.

What would be more valuable knowledge by an employee or ex-employee is knowing things like unpublicised vent shafts and inter-station emergency exits. London Underground should not take this possiblitiy to heart as there are tens of thousands of us (I'm one myself), who cannot all be security vetted.

However, there is no reason to think that staff had to be involved here as getting into the system at a surface location and walking the tunnel cannot be very hard for anyone a bit determined. It would hardly be like getting out of Colditz.

matt_world2004

Established Member
I knew which were the live rails from about the age of 8, living in South London, when I was old enough to ask my dad "What are all the rails are for?". It amazes me that there can be any adults of sound mind who do not recognise electric rails (or catenary). The insulators are a clue. I'm sure that anyone smart enough to know how to get into an underground station illicitly is more than smart enough to recognise a live rail. OTOH perhaps they were not aware that there could have been engineering trains running.

What would be more valuable knowledge by an employee or ex-employee is knowing things like unpublicised vent shafts and inter-station emergency exits. London Underground should not take this possiblitiy to heart as there are tens of thousands of us (I'm one myself), who cannot all be security vetted.

However, there is no reason to think that staff had to be involved here as getting into the system at a surface location and walking the tunnel cannot be very hard for anyone a bit determined. It would hardly be like getting out of Colditz.
London underground vent shafts are pretty easy to spot in London they are long tall brick buildings with a brown large lattice fan on top.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London underground vent shafts are pretty easy to spot in London they are long tall brick buildings with a brown large lattice fan on top.
Although the shaft in question doesn’t have either of those on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.