• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford SmartZone bus ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I will be visiting Oxford for a week later this month and want to have unlimited bus travel while I'm there. This means that I'll need to buy a 7-day Oxford SmartZone ticket.

I have two questions about this:
  • On Go-Ahead's website it says that SmartZone tickets are "only on the key". "the key" is, I understand, Go-Ahead's brand for their ITSO smartcards. Similarly, Stagecoach's website says that I need a StagecoachSmart card, which is how they brand ITSO cards. I already own an ITSO card, but it's not from Go-Ahead or Stagecoach. If I go to the travelshop at Gloucester Green, will I be able to have a SmartZone ticket put onto my existing ITSO card, or will I have to get a new smartcard?

• Does the validity of my ticket start from when I buy it, or when I first touch in on a bus?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex27

I'm not sure whether you can load products onto other itso cards or not, but if you do need to get another itso card then 'the key' is free (no deposit like with oyster, not sure if that's a common thing elsewhere or not) and came pretty promptly when I got mine

pepperpot80

I will be visiting Oxford for a week later this month and want to have unlimited bus travel while I'm there. This means that I'll need to buy a 7-day Oxford SmartZone ticket.

I have two questions about this:
  • On Go-Ahead's website it says that SmartZone tickets are "only on the key". "the key" is, I understand, Go-Ahead's brand for their ITSO smartcards. Similarly, Stagecoach's website says that I need a StagecoachSmart card, which is how they brand ITSO cards. I already own an ITSO card, but it's not from Go-Ahead or Stagecoach. If I go to the travelshop at Gloucester Green, will I be able to have a SmartZone ticket put onto my existing ITSO card, or will I have to get a new smartcard?

• Does the validity of my ticket start from when I buy it, or when I first touch in on a bus?

Thanks for your help.
Hi py_megapixel,

Unfortunately you won't be able to have the ticket loaded to your existing smartcard. However, the Oxford Bus Company travel shop will print you a "thekey" card with the ticket, though there's a £5 charge for the card if you buy in person. As Alex27 mentions, it's free when ordered online.

Stagecoach drivers also carry StagecoachSmart cards, to allow you to buy your seven day SmartZone ticket on the bus, so that should also be an option. The Stagecoach card incurs a £1 charge for the card if you buy on the bus. Again, it's free when ordered online.

For all of the above options, the validity of your ticket starts when you touch in on the bus. The staff at the travel shop will be happy to confirm that.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Unfortunately you won't be able to have the ticket loaded to your existing smartcard.
Thanks - do you happen to know why that isn't possible?
It's not unexpected, but nevertheless I find it infuriating, it's the same technical standard, after all...

Stagecoach drivers also carry StagecoachSmart cards, to allow you to buy your seven day SmartZone ticket on the bus, so that should also be an option. The Stagecoach card incurs a £1 charge for the card if you buy on the bus. Again, it's free when ordered online.
Now I think about it, I already have a StagecoachSmart card - can I load a ticket onto it at the Go-Ahead travel shop? Alternatively is there a Stagecoach retail counter in Oxford city centre that would sell me one? I'd much rather buy it in advance of getting on the bus, especially as I anticipate the first bus I'll need will be a Go-Ahead route!

I don't think I will have time to wait for The Key to arrive.

Last edited:

pepperpot80

Why not? It's the same technical standard, after all...

Now I think about it, I already have a StagecoachSmart card - can I load a ticket onto it at the Go-Ahead travel shop?
I'll duck the first question.

The answer to the second question is yes.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I'll duck the first question.

The answer to the second question is yes.
Thanks very much.

I probably sound quite annoyed. Please be assured that this annoyance is at the companies who refuse to reciprocally accept others' cards, and at the poor state of the ITSO system in general - not at yourself or your responses to your posts, which have been extremely helpful (even if they weren't the answers I wanted!)

Status
Not open for further replies.