• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford station layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikar

What's the layout at the Oxford station. While reading FGW cl.180 diagrams at http://www.thejunction.org.uk I noticed that trains wait for about 1h and 10min. Also I saw on the SimSig Didcot that in Oxford there are 2 platforms and a trought line. How many platforms are there in Oxford, and do they have some sidings there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
ikar said:
What's the layout at the Oxford station. While reading FGW cl.180 diagrams at http://www.thejunction.org.uk I noticed that trains wait for about 1h and 10min. Also I saw on the SimSig Didcot that in Oxford there are 2 platforms and a trought line. How many platforms are there in Oxford, and do they have some sidings there.

There's two through platforms, two(?) through lines, and I think there's a bay platform on the Up side at the Country end. There are indeed sidings at Oxford, they are also located at the Country end of the station. The FGWL stabling sidings can be seen here.

Met Driver

Established Member
TheSlash said:
So can somebody crossing too close in front of a unit whilst talking on a mobile phone 8)

It looks like he's rubbing his head to me. Maybe he walked into one of the floodlight masts?

OTS

May be changing within 20 years. From Saturday's Oxford Mail:

Station move looks doomed

Plans for Oxford's railway station to move to a new site at Oxpens as part of the West End development look to have been killed off.

A report into the feasibilty of improving the existing station at Frideswide Square found it would cost far less than a new complex.

Engineering consultants Arup say widening the Botley Road bridge to carry extra tracks and building two more platforms to cope with extra services would cost at least £68m.

But this would still be substantially less than building a new station a few hundred metres to the south.

The consultants were commissioned by Oxfordshire County Council to investigate the feasibility of upgrading the station and to examine the impact on surrounding streets.

Council leader Keith Mitchell said: "The new station is now unlikely to happen. The difference in the costs is so huge it could not be justified.

"It's disappointing that the station cannot be moved closer to the city and the new John Lewis department store. There's no developer ready to do it. I can now see the station being expanded in the existing footprint."

He said the decision would mean that a large area of land would no longer have to be kept in reserve as part of the West End regeneration, which could progress, while a case was made for Government funding to expand the existing station. Peter Mann, the council's assistant head of transport, said: "The report tells us it's technically feasible to construct additional lines and platforms at the existing station.

"But what we have to decide is whether it is practical in terms of the impact on the surrounding area and in terms of the cost."

The report will be submitted to the West End Steering Group, made up of the city and county councils, the South East England Development Agency and Oxford and Cherwell Valley College, which has a campus at Oxpens.

There are two platform tracks and two freight lines through Oxford station, with a bay platform at the north end, which limit the growth of services and would be inadequate if the East-West railway link to Milton Keynes, Bedford and Cambridge ever reopens.

Network Rail spokesman Laura Dobson said: "We have received a copy of the report into the possible expansion of Oxford station and are looking into the feasibility of each option.

"While we're not funded for major projects of this nature, we will provide any assistance we can, including advice, expertise and any associated work that falls within our remit."

The Strategic Rail Authority said earlier this year year that a move to a new station would not be feasible until at least 2014, when signals in Oxford are due for renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.