• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford to Inverness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon89

Hello,

First of all I'm fully aware advance tickets for the dates I want are not available yet, but as fares can go up quickly in my experience I'd like to be ready.

I'm planning to make a journey from Oxford to Inverness (return) in August. Traveling out Monday 6th August (Flexible a day or two either way) and returning on Monday 13th (set).

Flexible on travel times, would prefer to leave earlier and arrive at a reasonable time but doesn't really matter. Don't mind a longer journey for a cheaper fare. Hold a 16-25 railcard.

I also have £50 in rail travel vouchers remaining, these run out on the 6th June. Can they be used for travel in August, providing I make the purchase before expiry?

Any advice on advance tickets, or failing that, good split points for the route would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Keep checking the booking horizons here.

Expect Crosscountry and Virgin to release fares for the date's you wish in the next week or so.

If you didn't mind a slightly longer journey you could get a cheap advance from Oxford - London with FGW and then use East Coast from London Kings Cross - Inverness.

You could also check the Sleeper tickets when they come out and take the Overnight train from London - Inverness (Scotrail).

and also welcome to the forum :)

John @ home

Established Member
I also have £50 in rail travel vouchers remaining, these run out on the 6th June. Can they be used for travel in August, providing I make the purchase before expiry?
It appears so. Successful purchases in these circumstances have been reported on this forum.

Surprisingly, The Manual is silent on the subject of expiry dates where National Rail Travel Vouchers are concerned, but does report that London Underground Vouchers are valid for 13 months from the date of issue.

route:oxford

Established Member
Hello,

First of all I'm fully aware advance tickets for the dates I want are not available yet, but as fares can go up quickly in my experience I'd like to be ready.

I'm planning to make a journey from Oxford to Inverness (return) in August. Traveling out Monday 6th August (Flexible a day or two either way) and returning on Monday 13th (set).

Flexible on travel times, would prefer to leave earlier and arrive at a reasonable time but doesn't really matter. Don't mind a longer journey for a cheaper fare. Hold a 16-25 railcard.

Any advice on advance tickets, or failing that, good split points for the route would be much appreciated.

Squeezyjet from Luton to Inverness...

Flight
London Luton to Inverness

Dep Sun, 05 August 2012 15:40
Arr Sun, 05 August 2012 17:05
Flight 155
1 Adult
1 x £48.99

Flight
Inverness to London Luton

Dep Tue, 14 August 2012 11:25
Arr Tue, 14 August 2012 12:50
Flight 154
1 Adult
1 x £21.99
Hurry! Only 3 left under £22.00

Total flights and options for all passengers:
£70.98
Admin Fee
1 x £9.00

Then use your rail vouchers for the trip across to Luton.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Virgin and East Coast are offering Advances for travel at the beginning of August from around £26-£40 each way from Birmingham and London respectively. I'm sure that someone here will be able to find you a good deal with Advances when the tickets come out.

cjp

Hello,

If you consider an advance FGW to London or the Oxford Tube to London you might like to bear in mind that when I went up earlier this year I found Euston to Glasgow good value rather than East Coast. I then booked onwards with Scotrail who were running one of their offers of returns between any two stations for not a lot.
If if you can get a good advance fare on the one through East Coast train a day that might be better.
Do not disregard Virgin's Advance First as it is a long journey:(

Status
Not open for further replies.