• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oxford to Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkC

I'm currently thinking about applying for a job in Oxford and would probably make fairly regular journeys back to Newcastle (also York). Does anyone have any further options that are likely to be reasonable value compared to the below? Let's say I'd put up with a journey of up to about 6 hours.

Oxford-Newcastle XC (splitting tickets at various locations)
Oxford-Banbury, Banbury-Birmingham Chitern, Birmingham-Newcastle XC (splitting again)
Oxford-Paddington/Marylebone, London-Newcastle VTEC

(Incidentally, I absolutely hate Voyagers so I'd probably want to avoid XC as much as possible.)

Take as read that I'd check the obvious XC splits, and I know of (what I think are) the cheapest non-obvious tickets between Birmingham and York/Leeds, but if anyone has any more creative suggestions I'd be more than happy to receive them. Thanks in advance. I did do a search of previous questions about these routes (which was where I discovered the via Banbury option) but apologies if I've missed anything that comes up all the time...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
If you don't mind road travel, another option would be to use the X5 bus to Bicester, Milton Keynes or St Neots and then take the train north.

YorkC

That's a useful thought, thanks. Can't immediately see any fares that are that attractive but I'll bear it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.