• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanburyBlue

Mrs BanburyBlue and I are off to London for a short break in February.

I’m thinking it would make sense to for me get us both Oyster cards. I know very little about Oyster cards but do know it’s the most efficient way to travel the capital.

My question is, can I manage two cards under one account. I think someone said you can download the Oyster app and add credit ad hoc. But can I download the app and add two cards so top both up together?

Ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can certainly add more than one Oyster card to an account. You can then add topup to each in turn. You can't do multiple cards in one transaction.

Abpj17

You don't really need to buy a separate oyster card unless you want to. You have to pay a 5 pound deposit (which is refundable when you finish) but that's a hassle.
You can just use a contactless debit or credit card (each) daily fare cap will be applied. Just remember to use the same card.

BanburyBlue

You don't really need to buy a separate oyster card unless you want to. You have to pay a 5 pound deposit (which is refundable when you finish) but that's a hassle.
You can just use a contactless debit or credit card (each) daily fare cap will be applied. Just remember to use the same card.

Yes, did think of that and did do that before for a single journey. But, Mrs BanburyBlue got quite worried about having to fish around in her handbag for her credit card in a busy tube station.

rebmcr

Established Member
Yes, did think of that and did do that before for a single journey. But, Mrs BanburyBlue got quite worried about having to fish around in her handbag for her credit card in a busy tube station.

That's the same hassle as fishing around for an Oyster card.

If she's worried about dropping it, then you could go to the extra bother of making the deposit, topping up, and reversing the process when you're finished (to get your deposit back) — but the effort there would seem to outweigh the benefit.

BanburyBlue

That's the same hassle as fishing around for an Oyster card.

If she's worried about dropping it, then you could go to the extra bother of making the deposit, topping up, and reversing the process when you're finished (to get your deposit back) — but the effort there would seem to outweigh the benefit.

I think she'd be happier to leave her Oyster Card in her pocket, or a side pocket in her handbag, whereas her credit card is in her purse buried at the bottom of her handbag. So more fishing required.

Last edited:

ashworth

Established Member
I think she'd be happier to leave her Oyster Card in her pocket, or a side pocket in here handbag, whereas her credit card is in her purse buried at the bottom of her handbag. So more fishing required.

I totally understand how Mrs BanburyBlue feels about using contactless on London buses or especially the tube. I’m only in my early 60’s and perhaps need to move with the times and embrace this culture of paying for everything contactless with my debit card. I’m from that generation where you were always advised to keep your bank cards in a very secure place and don’t leave your cheque book and bank card together in the same place either. I know that times have moved on and I am at last beginning to use my card for contactless payments occasionally now in shops. However, perhaps partly due to living out in a rural area, the very idea of keeping my debit card handy to use on public transport in London is still out of the question for me. I don’t mind keeping an Oyster Card handy for use, but my debit card is very securely tucked away when I’m in London or any large city.

BanburyBlue

I totally understand how Mrs BanburyBlue feels about using contactless on London buses or especially the tube. I’m only in my early 60’s and perhaps need to move with the times and embrace this culture of paying for everything contactless with my debit card. I’m from that generation where you were always advised to keep your bank cards in a very secure place and don’t leave your cheque book and bank card together in the same place either. I know that times have moved on and I am at last beginning to use my card for contactless payments occasionally now in shops. However, perhaps partly due to living out in a rural area, the very idea of keeping my debit card handy to use on public transport in London is still out of the question for me. I don’t mind keeping an Oyster Card handy for use, but my debit card is very securely tucked away when I’m in London or any large city.

Apart from the security risks, it's all a bit casual for me. I mean, when you go into a shop and pay using contactless and they say "do you want a receipt"! - of course I want a receipt, why wouldn't I want a receipt. I can't believe people go and buy things and don't get a receipt - anarchy or what!

IanD

Established Member
If you're travelling off-peak and to zones 4, 5 or 6 then a daily off-peak paper travelcard would cost £8.30 each with a railcard (assuming you remember to take it with you!) and would be cheaper than the daily cap for those zones and save digging around for credit cards. Unfortunately, the two together railcard cannot be loaded on to an Oyster card so for zone 1-3 it's cheaper to use contactless or Oyster.

BanburyBlue

If you're travelling off-peak and to zones 4, 5 or 6 then a daily off-peak paper travelcard would cost £8.30 each with a railcard (assuming you remember to take it with you!) and would be cheaper than the daily cap for those zones and save digging around for credit cards. Unfortunately, the two together railcard cannot be loaded on to an Oyster card so for zone 1-3 it's cheaper to use contactless or Oyster.

I think zone 3 is the furthest we'd be going. Staying central, and mainly travelling central.

rebmcr

Established Member
I’m from that generation where you were always advised to keep your bank cards in a very secure place and don’t leave your cheque book and bank card together in the same place either.

It's almost unfair that the risk associated with the bank's own security systems (or absence of) was the responsibility of the customer back then.

I'm glad that in these enlightened times, the operators of such systems take the risk upon themselves and reimburse anyone who uses their product 'normally' in the event of criminal activity.

duffield

Established Member
May not be applicable, but I keep my contactless card zipped up in my jacket pocket when on the Underground, works fine without taking it out.

BanburyBlue

Okay, Oyster cards ordered.

Next question - can 1 Oyster card be linked to 2 separate accounts.

DavidGrain

Established Member

I don't see how that would work because how would TfL know which account that you wanted a particular journey linked to. A computer database usually works on a 1 to many basis so one account can work with more than one Oystercard but not the other way round. Once you have hit the daily fare cap which is probably three Underground trips then all further journeys are free

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

No.
I don't see how that would work because how would TfL know which account that you wanted a particular journey linked to. A computer database usually works on a 1 to many basis so one account can work with more than one Oystercard but not the other way round. Once you have hit the daily fare cap which is probably three Underground trips then all further journeys are free
For the avoidance of doubt, journeys are associated with a single Oyster card or contactless card/device. Any number of these can then be associated with a TfL account. Journey caps apply to single cards/devices. Journeys on different cards are never considered for a single cap.

In zones 1-2 you are right that 3 journeys will trigger the cap, but it will be very different for caps involving zones further out.

Lrd

Established Member
Apart from the security risks, it's all a bit casual for me. I mean, when you go into a shop and pay using contactless and they say "do you want a receipt"! - of course I want a receipt, why wouldn't I want a receipt. I can't believe people go and buy things and don't get a receipt - anarchy or what!
I don't want a receipt, extra paper wasted to just to throw in the bin as soon as I step outside. All the transactions are online. Unless I need one for warranty/refund reasons but then I buy most things online.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm only in my (very) late 60's and go along with everything you say, although I take the added precaution of only having a non-contactless debit card. I do realise this would preclude me using my debit card on certain aspects of public transport in London, but then I have an Oyster and a free pass for London's buses.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm surprised any banks still give you this option.
Mine does, for the moment. In ten month's time, I'll find out whether they still do! I've no intention of banking online either, not that I have great (or even small) riches to be purloined.

Lrd

Established Member
My card expired and was told they'd be sending me a contactless one but they never did. It's just an old fashioned chip and pin debit card.

But I can use it on Android Pay so just use that instead

Status
Not open for further replies.