• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rail-britain

Established Member
This thread got me wondering
I bought an Oyster card some time ago for a trip around London
Now, I don't visit London very often (twice a year typically)
I have a rough idea this card has about £8 on it
However as I am in Scotland I am not sure how I can find out
Equally, is there a time limit on claiming this balance back (ie return the balance to nil)?

I have been keeping this card as I need to make another trip in October this year
I assume I can preload this the day before arrival, online method
I then need to pass this card to a relative, or do they need their own card?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This thread got me wondering
I bought an Oyster card some time ago for a trip around London
Now, I don't visit London very often (twice a year typically)
I have a rough idea this card has about £8 on it
However as I am in Scotland I am not sure how I can find out
Set up an online account on the Oyster online section of the TfL website. Attach your card to it using the card number and the password set up when you registered it. Once this is done the card overview page will show what the balance is. In the future you can see journey history for up to 8 weeks.
Equally, is there a time limit on claiming this balance back (ie return the balance to nil)?
No. The balance never expires. You can apply for a refund by post if you decide not to visit London again.
I have been keeping this card as I need to make another trip in October this year
I assume I can preload this the day before arrival, online method
Yes. It must be before 2300 the day before and if the new credit is required straight away then select the station that you'll first use the card at as the pickup point. You should get an email in the early hours of the next day confirming that it is ready to pick up. Alternatively you can top up by cash or credit/debit card at National Rail and Underground ticket machines within the Oyster area. That top up is instantaneous.
I then need to pass this card to a relative, or do they need their own card?

Yes, you can pass the card to a relative. Purely PAYG cards (ie no travelcard season or discount entitlement) are fully transferable as long as only one person uses it at any one time.

rail-britain

Established Member
Lovely; concise and easy to follow
I get asked quite a lot of questions about Oyster, but I usually refer visitors to other websites (mainly TFL)
I keep meaning to add a section about Oyster to our website, it is the future of ticketing after all!
Shame it didn't really work in Scotland (cash society)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Alternatively you can just refer those people with Oyster queries to Mike's very comprehensive website.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wouldn't hurt to link to it then surely in this thread? I don't have it on my favourites and have no idea what to Google!

Status
Not open for further replies.