• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster card during NXEA works

Status
Not open for further replies.

iphone76

Evening. Tomorrow there are no trains between Stratford and Liverpool Street on NXEA due to engineering works. Normally, I use my annual season ticket from Wickford to London then use Oyster to get into the west end. (Cost £1.80 single).

Due to the works, I will have to take the Central Line into Liverpool Street from Stratford and then continue into the west end.

If I touch in at Stratford and touch out in zone 1, I will be charged £2.40, rather than the usual £1.80. (Extra £1.20 return). Would I be correct in thinking that my only alternative would be to get off the Central Line at Liverpool Street, go up and exit using my season ticket (it works at Liverpool Street LU) then re-enter by touching in on my Oyster?

I know it is only £1.20 per return journey, but I will be doing this a lot at weekends in the run-up to Christmas and there are quite a few closures at weekends on the line for the rest of the year.

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jd

I'd imagine so.

Only thing I could suggest, and it's only any use if you happen to be going in that sort of direction anyway, is to change from the Central line to the Hammersmith & City line at Mile End (which is a cross-platform interchange), then at least when you get to Liverpool Street you're much closer to the ticket barriers so it's not quite as much out of your way?

Edit: Though this depends on the H&C being open, which it quite often isn't at weekends these days...

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you want to avoid paying for zone 2 on your oyster then you will have to get off at Liverpool Street and swipe out then touch in. Reverse on the way back too.

iphone76

Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately there is no H&C line Edgware Road to Barking or District line from Upminster to Embankment!

I think I'll leave a bit earlier, get off at Liverpool Street and catch the bus into the West End.

Cheers.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That'll knock it down to £1.20 each way then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.