• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster card help required please

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Hi, next Saturday I shall be travelling return from Kings Cross to Upton Park on the underground. I see that cash fares for thgis journay are £4.00 singles at all times. I also see that if you have an Oyster card it automatically caluclates this fare at being off peak at £2.20. Heres where my query begins! Its a £3 deposit plus a payment of £5 credit when you get a card. The £8 I would have to pay for the card equals the same as the £8 for two single fares. Getting the card would be a lot less hassle on the day for myself, but if I am reading it correctly I see that the card then automatically tops iteself up if it goes below £5 credit balance. Is this right, and if so will it then add another fiver to my costs? Alternatively is there is there another ticket type I could purchase that may be more suitable.:idea::o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
The card doesn't automatically top it up unless you register it, select auto top-up and give the online system your card details.

I haven't been made aware of a minimum £5 top up... I believe it is in place at certain stations at the ticket offices, but you can put less on at the ticket machines anyway.

When you are finished with your oyster card, you can take it back to any London Underground ticket office. Any pre-pay credit on your card will be refunded to you, and you will also get back the £3 you paid for the card.

Daniel

Established Member
Code:
£3.00     Oyster Card Deposit
£5.00     Pre-Pay Addition
£2.20     Kings Cross St Pancras - Upton Park
£2.20     Upton Park - Kings Cross St Pancras
£0.60     Pre-Pay REFUND
£3.00     Surrendered Oyster REFUND

Total cost to customer, £4.40.

Daniel

Established Member
Fair enough!

Off Peak Day Travelcard Zones 1-4 = £6.30
If you have a Young Persons Rail Card it goes down to £4 something, £4.10 i think.

John @ home

Established Member
Fair enough!

Off Peak Day Travelcard Zones 1-4 = £6.30
If you have a Young Persons Rail Card it goes down to £4 something, £4.10 i think.

£5 minimum fare for 1-day travelcard with a railcard. This price gets you Zones 1 - 6.

John

clagmonster

Established Member
Remember that with an Oystercard you can use it again the next time you are in London, which in your case is up to about 5 times a season (plus any non-football).

Status
Not open for further replies.