• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a non-London/S East resident but an occasional visitor to London. Is it worth me getting an OC? What benefits do you get.

At present, I would normally buy the appropriate Travelcard, or else get the train ticket with a 1-journey tube added on (is this U1 on the ticket?).

I've had a look on the TfL site before but wasn't that clear and understandably was more geared to residents.

Just wondering as what the view is on the OC benefits. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Daniel

Established Member
Basically..

Fares are cheaper with an Oyster Card. If your just making one journey, you could just get a ticket to your zone, (U1 if you are travelling onwards to zone 1 only, U123 for further than that etc). However, if your making multiple journeys, you may aswel get an oyster card. Other benefits, it automatically works out the cheapest ticket for you in a day. Also if you register it, (which is free), and you loose the card or it is stolen, you get all of your money and tickets transferred to a new card for free :).

Downsides... if you don't touch in and out properly you will be charged £4. It can be refunded at ticket offices most of the time, but it's always better not to let it happen!
Also I know alot of people dont like giving out their personal information, as to register you do have to tell us where you live etc.

Er that's all I can think of atm.. any questions just ask, i'll help where i can ^.^

me123

Established Member
My Dad's an occasional visitor, and he has an Oyster because it saves him a lot of time. You've probably been in LU queues and seen that they can be quite long, so having an Oyster saves you time. So go for it!

Daniel

Established Member
Oh yeah, and you can top-up online once you've registered, so when you get to london you can just go... and you can view journeys made on your card online.

clagmonster

Established Member
It also depends on where you are travelling when you are in London, as the non-season Oyster cards on not valid on many BR services. For those on which they are valid, see: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/oyster-payg-on-national-rail.pdf ). However, many routes are being added to Oyster, and I believe that Borris has said that the entire of the BR network within the GLC boundary, with the exception of the South-Western devision of the Southern region, will be valid by the end of the year.
Also, if you are a railcar user, you can get a discount on the daily price cap.

Zagorkagirl

Hello,

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I will be visiting London this Saturday and Sunday and I will be be using my Oyster card on the Tube and DLR - am I right in saying that the fare for each day will be capped at £6.30 per day?

Thanks,
Zag

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm hoping someone can answer my question. I will be visiting London this Saturday and Sunday and I will be be using my Oyster card on the Tube and DLR - am I right in saying that the fare for each day will be capped at £6.30 per day?
After checking with the horrific TfL website, as long as you touch in/out correctly then on weekends (per day) the charge for a normal adult is £5.10 z1-2; £5.80 z1-4; and £7.00 z1-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.