• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Card - Selective Barrier Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
Apologies if this question has been asked before but I've only really now just noticed it.
Over the last three weeks there have been maybe four times when I have approached the ticket barrier, offered my Oyster card and been greeted by a red light. Moving to an adjacent barrier lets me through though. In the meantime, the person behind has been able to successfully use the same barrier that refused me entry/exit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
Sounds like it's not being read properly.

It might be how you hold it and/or move it against the reader, it might be whetever you carry it in, or it might be a faulty card.

Easiest one to check is the card, if you don't have any product loaded on.

westv

Established Member
Sounds like it's not being read properly.

It might be how you hold it and/or move it against the reader, it might be whetever you carry it in, or it might be a faulty card.

Easiest one to check is the card, if you don't have any product loaded on.

Ok.
Surely if it was what I carried it in it or if the card was defective it would affect all barriers or happen more often?
As far as I know, I touch in/out in exactly the same manner at every barrier.

westv

Established Member
Anything else in the wallet?

The card is kept in its own wallet. Carried next to another wallet. I've had the card for a number of years and always kept it in the same place.

EssexGonzo

I put it down to barrier sensor performance. I use a contactless credit card 8 times per day on the TFL system and it's pretty normal that one of those will fail me, but allow others to pass through after me. Mine will always work on another barrier. I also use the same card at retailers with no issues.

WideRanger

As I understand it, at some stations, the wide disabled barriers are set so that a member of staff has to enable it when an appropraite person (for example disabled, with children or suitcases, etc) approaches. This seems especially to be the case when there is just one that does both entry and exit. Does that scenario fit with what you have experienced?

westv

Established Member
As I understand it, at some stations, the wide disabled barriers are set so that a member of staff has to enable it when an appropraite person (for example disabled, with children or suitcases, etc) approaches. This seems especially to be the case when there is just one that does both entry and exit. Does that scenario fit with what you have experienced?

Actually I think it does happen at wide barriers but still, the next person seems to get through without problem.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As I understand it, at some stations, the wide disabled barriers are set so that a member of staff has to enable it when an appropraite person (for example disabled, with children or suitcases, etc) approaches.
There is no staff action required to “enable” a wide aisle gate, they work automatically. When one is set to “First come first served” (ie. it accepts people passing through in either direction) then only one reader will be active at any one time, so the Smartcard reader will flash between red and yellow every few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.