• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Coming To Mainline Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
Oyster cards will soon be accepted on all mainline trains, or at least they will if Boris gets his way. This first steps were taken yesterday when the mayor signed an agreement with First Great Western, who will implement Oyster on all of their London trains as of September. It will certainly be more convenient, but the real bonus comes in the fact that the reduce rates offered on buses and the Tube will now be extended to the participating trains. This will also lead to an upgrade at participating stations, which will need to be outfitted with Oyster equipment to the tune of £40million (which will hopefully be made up participating trains and not in a fare hike). Boris will continue meeting with companies in a quest for total fare card synergy.

http://londonist.com/2008/05/oyster_coming_t.php

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Are we talking Stations such as Bristol, Swindon, Cardiff or just stations as only far away as Reading (old TT Routes)?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are we talking Stations such as Bristol, Swindon, Cardiff or just stations as only far away as Reading (old TT Routes)?

From the GLA website; it will be at the following stations
West Drayton, Hayes & Harlington, Southall, Hanwell, West Ealing, Acton Main Line, South Greenford, Castle Bar Park and Drayton Green.

will1337

It'd be rather annoying if all stations throughout the country used Oyster especially with peak/off peak that it has, any journey between 0700-1900 would cost the SDS.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Apparently this has been confirmed already and will be valid on FGW within LU zones.

Established Member
It'd be rather annoying if all stations throughout the country used Oyster especially with peak/off peak that it has, any journey between 0700-1900 would cost the SDS.

I think it will just be stations within the zones:), I'm happy with it, shame its not free travel on trains aswell:(, That would be swell:)

Gizmogle

Established Member

No one would have enough money on their Oyster! Plus it would cost too much for all the Oyster facilities throughout the country.

Oh, and just imagine doing a London to Bristol on Oyster and forgetting to tap out correctly! Ch-Ching!

me123

Established Member
They're thinking about it in the Glasgow Area: Due to the density of stations in the SPT network, it would be a perfect location.

Anyway:

Chaz said:

Top-up fares from Cardiff: who'd put that much on the card anyway?

me123

Established Member
To quoter's annoyers; I did know that they weren't going out to the West, just making a small point. ;)

Gizmogle

Established Member
I thought it was just FGW.

SWT won't take PAYG Oyster. They make that very clear. I don't see them changing that.

will1337

They won't and it was Ken who planned to put z1-6 rail under TFL control, whoops good job Londoners who voted Boris.

djw1981

Established Member
They're thinking about it in the Glasgow Area: Due to the density of stations in the SPT network, it would be a perfect location.

Anyway:

No they are no, they are looking an ITSO compliant card (which Oyster is not)...it has several major technical differences.

me123

Established Member
Well, I saw somewhere it was Oyster, probably just a comparison to the Oyster scheme or another tabloid got it wrong. :? So, how exactly do these ITSO cards work?

djw1981

Established Member
An Oyster an only be touched twice in a journey. An ITSO card is more secure - without going into the complexities which I understand not, but basically an ITSO card will be able to differentiate between free bus travel and discounted rail travel etc. ITSo is just a standard of security and such like. The Scottish Concessionary Travel Cards are ITSo compliant cards.

To quote from somewhere else on the web "Oyster is not ITSO compatible, but South West Trains have opted for a system which is Oyster compatible, and meets ITSO requirements.."

Oyster is however moving to become ITSO compliant. http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/scienceresearch/otherresearch/itsooysterinteroperability

All ITSO compliant cards should eventually be interoperable.

Roger Ford summed it up in Modern Railways as
Naturally, ITSO is much more ambitious than Oyster. Its aim is to provide a common smartcard for use by all transport operators throughout the UK and, particularly, within and between the Passenger Transport Executives.

Currently, there are three ITSO schemes, for Scotland, Cheshire and Merseytravel. The two English authorities have systems installed but are waiting for the security keys for which Royal Bank of Scotland are the provider. Being on the spot, Scotland has got the keys from RBS, but the ITSO system is only part complete.

He also revisited the topic earlier this year but that copy has now gone for recycling,......

me123

Established Member
So for the traveller, the system's not much different than an Oyster scheme, ie you pay/topup, you tap in and you tap out again and it takes the fare from the card?

djw1981

Established Member
Yes... but it may also pay your library fines, be your licence to use government services etc as there can be more than one service on it, and each can only access its own info.

me123

Established Member
Yes... but it may also pay your library fines, be your licence to use government services etc as there can be more than one service on it, and each can only access its own info.

Ahh, thanks. It does sound better than the Oyster system, and having all these services available on a single card would be useful. I can imagine, though, it's easier for scatterbrains like me to lose them :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh, and just imagine doing a London to Bristol on Oyster and forgetting to tap out correctly! Ch-Ching!
Naa, I'd be more worried about a short hop and being charged the ching for a SOS from Wick to Penzance ;)

me123

Established Member
There is a thing known as a wallet........

:lol: Got one, oddly enough. I once lost my railcard and was about to call Scotrail or someone to see if someone had found it, then I looked in my pocket... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.