• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster handheld readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattie

Hi,

I am just wondering wether or not the handheld readers carried by revenue inspectors in London are able to deduct money from your Oystercard, or are they purely to check what funds you have on the card?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
The MOVIE devices are provided for the purpose of interrogating an Oystercard on the move, nothing else to my knowledge.

lauraGeeGee

No.

They are only able to read cards, to see how much money is on them or if it's a travelcard in or out of zone.

They can also see the last 10 journeys made, so when someone says something like:

"I don't normally do this journey so I didn't know it was out of zone" The last 10 journeys show full well that they do indeed do the journey, sometimes every day!:roll:

Daniel

Established Member
They can read your last 8 journeys, your PAY-G balance, when you last topped up (and how much), view the four "slots" on your card, (for Zonal tavelcards / bus passes, including those which have expired, except where they have been overwritten as all the other slots have been taken). They can also be used to view if you have a discount entitlement (16-25, for example), and also if you have loaded an OEP.

They can also be set up to know where they/you are, (NR, LUL/DLR, Bus), (Z1, Z2, Z3 etc, Z12, Z34, Z8 etc, or "No Zone"), and use this to determine whether or not your ticket is valid in that location at that time... although this function is not as reliable now, as things have become more complicated. For example, on a bus a red light may be displayed, (you have failed the inspection), as you have not tapped in recently... however the inspector needs to tab through your card details to see if you have a travelcard/bus pass!

They cannot in any way shape or form add or deduct money from your card :)

Status
Not open for further replies.