• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Incomplete Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyh82

Established Member
The other day I travelled around Central London, mainly trying out parts of the Elizabeth Line, making various short journeys and in some cases not spending too long before boarding another service

As a result of this they seem to have combined a few of these journeys into one longer journey with no touch out, and then started another journey with no touch in. Despite the fact there are multiple touches in and out.

Is this normal and would I be due a refund, the journeys I made will have exceeded the zone 1-4 caping rate but on top of this I’ve been charged an additional £17.80?

(I basically started at City Thameslink, changed at Farringdon, changed at Canary Wharf from EL to DLR, then at Stratford, then at Liverpool Street. With the final touch out at Oxford Circus being cut off as a separate new journey)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The best thing to do would be to look at your journey history on the Oyster website and then work out where you have been charged a maximum fare. Then speak to the helpline about a refund.

The time allowed for City Thameslink to Oxford Circus does not allow that long a journey and, as you say, everything gets linked because of out of station interchanges. Consequently the time out occurs at some point with maximum fares charged.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
(I basically started at City Thameslink, changed at Farringdon, changed at Canary Wharf from EL to DLR, then at Stratford, then at Liverpool Street. With the final touch out at Oxford Circus being cut off as a separate new journey)
As @JonathanH has explained, you will likely have taken longer than the maximum journey time for a zone 1 journey which is 90 minutes.
Is this normal and would I be due a refund, the journeys I made will have exceeded the zone 1-4 caping rate but on top of this I’ve been charged an additional £17.80?
Yes it is normal. The good news is that if you were using a standard blue Oyster card you should get a refund the next time you use the card (I'm assuming you haven't used it since making these journeys). It is likely to be two single fares which probably won't exceed the cap.

Andyh82

Established Member
As @JonathanH has explained, you will likely have taken longer than the maximum journey time for a zone 1 journey which is 90 minutes.

Yes it is normal. The good news is that if you were using a standard blue Oyster card you should get a refund the next time you use the card (I'm assuming you haven't used it since making these journeys). It is likely to be two single fares which probably won't exceed the cap.
No I haven’t but I won’t be doing for about 2 months until I next visit London

In that case would you ring the helpline?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No I haven’t but I won’t be doing for about 2 months until I next visit London

In that case would you ring the helpline?
No need. The refund will have been queued for 3 days following the day of travel. If it's not picked up in that time then it goes on a reserve list for six months. Within that time a touch in or out for that Oyster card will request that the refund is requeued and it should be picked up with the next touch. Usually touching in for the first new journey will request the requeue and touching out at the end will pick up the refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.