• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Pay As You Go Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surely implimenting railcard and contactless would be as easy as entering your bank card and railcard numbers into a TFL online account and submit? I know it isnt doable now but shouldnt be hard if you website account had extra securitty.
That isn't the problem though. The problem is that an Inspector has no way of knowing whether the user of the CPC is being charged the Railcard rate or the full fare.

lightning76

The (Network Card) form reads as though they'll use it at least to process a renewal reminder in due course, but I've never had one in over ten years. So I now assume the clerk puts it in the nearest bin...

I've had reminders for both my Network and 2T railcards. Along with assorted other nonsense about hotel discounts and things. And at Didcot Parkway I also got handed a scrappy bit of paper listing the times "when you can use off-peak tickets from Paddington in the evening peak" - but that and its inaccuracies are for another thread.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Speaking of Network Railcards and Oysters...

The Mayor (17-Dec-2014):
I am very keen to continue improving ticket integration and I know TfL is keen to support that, wherever feasible.
In the case of the Network Railcard, while TfL is keen for this to happen, the Train Operating Companies are unwilling to consider an additional Oyster discount - even though it could be limited automatically to apply at the weekends only.
In the case of the Family and Friends Railcard, TfL and the Train Operating Companies have considered this but concluded that automatic application of the discount is impossible. This is because the holder of this Railcard is not automatically entitled to a discount - only when travelling as a Family or with a Friend.

Source: Questions to the Mayor 2014/5085

Be3G

Established Member
In the case of the Network Railcard, while TfL is keen for this to happen, the Train Operating Companies are unwilling to consider an additional Oyster discount - even though it could be limited automatically to apply at the weekends only.

It's a shame really. Owing to ever-increasing fares to use rail-based methods of transport in London and the limited usefulness of the one railcard that's available to me (Network), I now make more journeys by bus that I used to make by train. If the TOCs wanted to make train travel cheaper by letting me use my railcard on Oyster, then I'd happily give them more of my business again.

mattdickinson

Speaking of Network Railcards and Oysters...

Source: Questions to the Mayor 2014/5085

I think it would be possible to discount F&F and Two Together railcards when Oyster moves onto back office calculation, if you could link different peoples cards together and set the system to look for identical journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.