• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster PAYG and delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Rather than taking this thread off topic, I thought I'd ask in a new thread.

Hadders said:
It is important that there is continuity of tickets in case of delay so I'd avoid using Oyster PAYG from Shenfield to Euston.

This is something I've heard before but never asked about.

Why is PAYG disadvantageous to the customer in the event of disruption? I thought the NRCoC covered tickets held in electronic format as well as traditional tickets. And if TOCs won't accept PAYG as part of a Delay Repay claim, why not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As I understand it (and others are probably better able to advise) Oyster PAYG is not specifically prohibited but in the event of a delay when using an Advance ticket you need to get the part of the journey using PAYG verified before using a later service.

This could be problematic because finding a person capable of reading an Oyster Card and being able/willing to verify the delay to the satisfaction of a national rail TOC could be problematic. Also, the time this could take could be a problem if you are already running late.

For these reasons continuity is best provided by using paper tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.