• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster / Railcard discount - evening peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acton1991

Hi there - wondered if someone could confirm whether you get 26-30 railcard discount on Oyster fares in the evening peak?

It seems to confirm it here, but just wanted to double check.

thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hi there - wondered if someone could confirm whether you get 26-30 railcard discount on Oyster fares in the evening peak?

It seems to confirm it here, but just wanted to double check.

thanks!
Not on single fares other than from outside Zone 1 into Zone 1.

Look at the single fare finder and select National Railcards.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The off-peak cap for railcard holders does apply for travel in the evening peak but the effect of that will depend on travel earlier in the day.
My experience is that peak fares in the evening often ensure that the reduced off-peak cap is indeed reached.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
My experience is that peak fares in the evening often ensure that the reduced off-peak cap is indeed reached.
How does the Oyster off-peak cap for railcard holders work if a journey was made before 09:30 of lower value than the difference between the off-peak and anytime cap?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How does the Oyster off-peak cap for railcard holders work if a journey was made before 09:30 of lower value than the difference between the off-peak and anytime cap?
If spend before 0930 is less than the difference between the caps then the effect will be the off-peak cap plus the journeys made before 0930. Take a look at https://oysterfares.com/information-pages/capping-examples/ where the third example shows exactly this scenario.

Acton1991

It really isn't confusing.

Railcard discounts on Oyster
* apply to off-peak single fares
* don't apply to peak single fares.

You can find out fares on the single fare finder https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder

The off-peak cap for railcard holders does apply for travel in the evening peak but the effect of that will depend on travel earlier in the day.

What you find simple may be confusing for others, please be mindful of that. That's why we ask questions. But thank you for your help.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
What you find simple may be confusing for others, please be mindful of that. That's why we ask questions. But thank you for your help.
Yes, sorry.

I note, however, that TfL probably did set out with the intention of it being straightforward and the application of railcards to single fares is at least consistent - it is the classification of a single fare as peak or off-peak that increases complexity.

I must admit that I would never make a 'new' journey on Oyster / Contactless without first checking the Single Fare Finder, which might be a sign that it could be seen as confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.