• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Readers at Big Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSE

Established Member
Hey (this is about the positioning and the number of oyster readers so I wasn't sure where to put it exactly, feel free to move it),

I've often wondered, mostly at big stations, why there isn't at least a couple of
Oyster readers at platform level. I often travel to the Croydon Area from
North of London and can be going to various stations. Sometimes my destination can switch en route. So while I'll have a ticket to Upper Warlingham, I may well be switching to Coulsdon Town as my plans have changed. No problem, I just change trains at East Croydon. But my paper ticket doesn't cover Coulsdon so I just oyster it from Croydon. However I have to walk all the way up the station entrance to tap in. And often my ticket won't let me out the barrier so I have to ask to either be let out to tap in or they'll just lean over and do it for me or whatever, but when it's busy it's not always fun walking against the crowd to go back down to the platform etc.

I just wondered why maybe one or two oyster readers couldn't be placed on each platform? I'm only suggesting this at busier stations where plenty of interchanges are made, I've also experienced this at Stratford and Wimbledon, but it just seems like it would be a good idea

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think platform readers help with fraudulent travel, and that's the fundamental reason they don't fit them everywhere.

There are a number of stations where they've been removed, London Bridge is a good example.

NSE

Established Member
That's a fair point. Hadn't considered that, I guess too many people could tap in later than they should etc

PermitToTravel

Established Member
London Underground are good at fitting them in stations they manage where there are interchanges with NR inside the LU gateline, such as Farringdon or Greenford. The TOCs tend not to.

rebmcr

Established Member
London Underground are good at fitting them in stations they manage where there are interchanges with NR inside the LU gateline, such as Farringdon or Greenford. The TOCs tend not to.

Where are the Farringdon ones? I would have made great use of them in the past!

NSE

Established Member
Yeah I've seen them at Farringdon and other stations like Highbury and Islington where you can switch between tube and NR. I understand the thought process behind taking them out to eliminate fraud, but it's a shame. East Croydon isn't particularly big, but at Stratford I've often taken a good ten minutes to go through the process and missed a train (not a vital connection, I'd always leave enough time obviously, but just when in en route) still shame cause I think it's a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.