• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster recharge failed- oyster recharge machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

shekharpatil64

Hi,

on 11 May I tried to recharge my oyster with Oyster machine on station through debit card, money debited from my debit card, but oyster is not recharged. then I went on ticket counter and recharged it through cash.

Please advise how I can get my failed recharge refund?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd call TfL customer services and see what they have to say: 0343 222 1234

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If you haven't touched the Oyster on the machine a second time to complete the transaction, it should recognise the fact and automatically refund the money. How long this takes to be processed is dependent on your card issuer, but it should normally be within 72 hours.

island

Veteran Member
The payment won't be taken from your card and the transaction will drop off within 5-7 working days. The helpline will not be likely to be able to speed things up.

najaB

Veteran Member
The payment won't be taken from your card and the transaction will drop off within 5-7 working days.
The OP stated that the money has been debited from their account. Do you mean to say that it will be automatically refunded?

Stompehh

The OP stated that the money has been debited from their account. Do you mean to say that it will be automatically refunded?

It can appear that money has been debited if it has been 'authorised' as it will not be available to withdraw or spend. If the authorisation isn't 'captured' within a certain time frame it will expire and the money will be available to spend again.

najaB

Veteran Member
It can appear that money has been debited if it has been 'authorised' as it will not be available to withdraw or spend. If the authorisation isn't 'captured' within a certain time frame it will expire and the money will be available to spend again.
I suppose it depends on how the OP checked and on their bank, but for mine pre-authorisations show separately to cleared transactions. I was assuming that "money debited from my debit card" meant that it showed as a cleared transaction, but perhaps not.

island

Veteran Member
I understand that RBS Group banks do not distinguish between authorisations and completions on their online banking system. There are no doubt some others. So yes, my expectation is that the transaction will just drop off. In all likelihood, calling the Oyster helpline or anyone else will not be a good use of time.

bicbasher

Established Member
TfL refund Oyster transactions that haven't gone through on the ninth day after purchase as you have eight days to activate the credit on the reader.

island

Veteran Member
TfL refund Oyster transactions that haven't gone through on the ninth day after purchase as you have eight days to activate the credit on the reader.

That is a slightly different kettle of fish as TfL will actually complete the charge against the card on the day of the transaction and will refund the money if the purchase isn't collected.

blakey1152

I hope you have better luck than me getting a refund in a timely manner.

I had a similar issue but I tried to renew a Travelcard on my Oyster at the station and it took payment but when I went to put my Oyster on at the end to complete the transaction and add the Travelcard the machine just wouldn't have any of it.

I ended up being charged twice for a monthly Travelcard and getting the refund back was a nightmare, they wanted bank statements and god knows what to show that I had got charged twice...took nearly 3 months before they refunded it.
This was a DLR machine at Greenwich

Blakey

Status
Not open for further replies.