• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster same station exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

Hello,

I'm trying to work out how to claim a refund for touching in and out at the same station, but the link on that help page to "Claim a refund online" just takes me to the Oyster login and then my account home page.

I can't find anywhere to actually claim the refund. While I can see the 'journey' in the history there is no option to request a refund and nothing in "incomplete journeys" either.

Could anybody familiar with the system point me to the page for claiming this type of refund? It says it should happen automatically within 48 hours, but it hasn't!

Thanks,
lyesbkz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
You’ll likely have to phone them. Depending on how long your journey was will depends on the charges. Phone them up and explain what you did and why you tapped out at the same place you tapped in. You’ll need a reasonable excuse for this. A ride on a few trains isn’t going to cut it.

island

Veteran Member
Just give them a ring on 0343 222 1234. You’ll need to explain precisely what journey you actually did make.

lyesbkz

You’ll likely have to phone them. Depending on how long your journey was will depends on the charges. Phone them up and explain what you did and why you tapped out at the same place you tapped in. You’ll need a reasonable excuse for this. A ride on a few trains isn’t going to cut it.

Just give them a ring on 0343 222 1234. You’ll need to explain precisely what journey you actually did make.

Thanks. I got a call before boarding the train and had to go back. As it was 7 minutes, I think it counted it as a journey. I'll give them a ring!

IceAgeComing

The exception to that seems to be if you have a travelcard that covers that station - I've tapped in and out at London Bridge before (mostly when I've just missed a train and want to quickly go grab something from a shop the other side of the barriers) and never paid anything. Same also seems to go for incomplete journeys where you're pretty far in zone: never been charged for one of those despite occasionally forgetting to tap out at Greenwich (used to ticket barriers!). I guess that if you're paying them £190 then they probably are a lot more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt unless you take the biscuit a lot.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The exception to that seems to be if you have a travelcard that covers that station - I've tapped in and out at London Bridge before (mostly when I've just missed a train and want to quickly go grab something from a shop the other side of the barriers) and never paid anything. Same also seems to go for incomplete journeys where you're pretty far in zone: never been charged for one of those despite occasionally forgetting to tap out at Greenwich (used to ticket barriers!). I guess that if you're paying them £190 then they probably are a lot more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt unless you take the biscuit a lot.
It's not giving you the benefit of the doubt, it's how the system works. There is no penalty for not touching in or out within the zones covered by a travelcard season as long as any journey you make is completely covered by that season (optionally as well as a paper ticket).

Status
Not open for further replies.