• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster travelcard changeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjohnson

I'm changing jobs shortly and will need a changeover from a zones 2-6 annual to a zones 1-3 annual travelcard and have a few further questions after reading the fares and ticketing guide....

1. Can this be done at any LU ticket office?
  2. Does it complicate matters that the ticket was originally issued from a NR station (Wimbledon)?
  3. Does it further complicate things that the original ticket bought benefitted from a small (£14) discount due to void days etc?
  4. Does my calculation (below) for the refund due look right?

Current ticket held: annual 2-6 Travelcard on Oyster valid from 30 Dec 2013 to 5 Jan 2015 (more than 12 months, but that's what it says on the record card...) which was £1,520 (but only paid £1,506).

Intended new ticket: 1-3 annual, which would have cost £1,424.

Assume changeover on 5 June 2014, that should be 215 days of validity left.
Rate for old: 1520/365 = £4.16
Rate for new: 1424/365 = £3.90

Credit for old: £4.16 * 215 = £894.40
Charge for new: £3.90 * 215 = £838.50

Refund = £55.90

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
If your ticket was issued at an NR station any changeover needs to be done at an NR station. I don't think Wimbledon issues Oyster any more but you might be able to use Marylebone or Victoria.

bicbasher

Established Member
SWT in their wise wisdom decide to axe Oyster ticket office facilities at the end of December 2013 from Richmond and Wimbledon.

You could also try Balham NR and East Croydon which still have Oyster facilities at the ticket office in South London or City Thameslink or St Pancras International (FCC ticket office).

CyrusWuff

Established Member
KnowledgeBase says that a change-over on an Oyster issued by a TOC has to be processed by the same TOC.

However, to do so the Ticket Office needs to have a FasTIS to be able to "Unload" the original ticket...Can you see the problem here?

In practice, I suspect Marylebone would be willing to do the change-over regardless. It should be noted, however, that it is not possible to print a new Gold Record Card in such cases, as the TIS doesn't have that functionality (and neither do LU's).

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Don't forget if you get the annual at Marylebone then you get free weekend travel on all Chiltern services.

cjohnson

Update: took a trip to Marylebone last week to try and get this changeover sorted out. The NR ticket office said they weren't able to process changeovers for seasons issued on Oyster, and instead directed me to the LU window opposite.

Took the LU guy about 2 minutes to process the changeover, including printing off a new Gold Record card, journey history printout (to confirm the new ticket was loaded) and printout to confirm the Gold Card discount was still applied to the card.

Then received an email today from Oyster asking how I'd like the refund - either by BACS or directly credited to my Oyster pre-pay account.

All in all, rather easy (and if I'd known it was possible to do it at any LU ticket office then that would have saved a trip up to Marylebone!)

Tibbs

Update: took a trip to Marylebone last week to try and get this changeover sorted out. The NR ticket office said they weren't able to process changeovers for seasons issued on Oyster, and instead directed me to the LU window opposite.

That's not right, I got mine done last week at Matylebone NR. Having said that, I did buy at Marylebone NR, so maybe that made a diffrerence. I got a new Gold card, too.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I note that from the opening post the Oyster season ticket was issued at Wimbledon.

Perhaps TfL/LU have decided to process these changeovers from SWT-issued Oysters now that SWT no longer have the facilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.