• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster Validators not working - Buy a ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sibling was travelling into work this morning to discover that none of the Oyster validators were working at his station.

The notices said "Buy a paper ticket or use a different station", but I feel this is not correct advice. Why should you have to use a different station because a critical component of the ticketing system is not working at your selected station?

He bought a paper single to London Bridge, but I would expect he should be able to get it refunded by the TOC. He's already hit his Oyster "weekly cap", so today's journey would have been free had he not been coerced into buying an additional ticket by this signage.

Attachments

• GRP_No_Oyster.jpg
    GRP_No_Oyster.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 154
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I hate to bump threads, but this conversation seems to have slipped without any getting any input.

Regardless, I've assisted my sibling in filing for a refund on the grounds of "wrong advice given" and "purchased ticket under duress", so we'll see what SE have to say on the matter.

Starmill

Veteran Member
This is a pretty bizarre situation. I've never seen the like before.

My only experience with all Oyster readers not functioning was at a Tram stop. This was dealt with by a help point call, and I was advised to just travel without touching in.

For a start, writing to the TOC with the extra ticket enclosed would be a the way to go. I would include that photograph in the OP, possibly an Oyster PDF journey history too although that may not be necessary at this stage.

I'm sure a refund will be forthcoming. If it isn't then the complaint can be taken to London Travelwatch.

So, I've got some news. Southeastern have failed to understand my initial request for a refund and "interpreted" it as the TVMs not working, offering a paltry £1.30 refund for a £5.40 single that my sibling shouldn't have had to pay for in the first place. They're not wrong in that the TVMs probably couldn't reload Oysters, but as he was going to use Contactless, they've got the wrong end of the stick as to why he should be refunded.

Will be following it up as a complaint this time.

gray1404

Established Member
Looks like they've refunded the difference between an oyster single and a paper ticket. They've not understood that the weekly cap had been reached already.

Status
Not open for further replies.