• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

P2 Mapping System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodoughnut

Evening Everyone,

I was just curious to know if anyone knew if it was possible to access the P2 Real-Time Mapping or Tracking System that certain TOCs use to track movements of trains in real time, or if there was an (online) alternative?.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
I have yet to find a way for non-rail-staff to access P2 Viewer, but I'd be interested to hear if there is a legitimately-available tool allowing folks to do so.

Rail-related open data feeds have been used to create some pretty awesome sites such as OpenTrainTimes, which features maps of certain areas. These show live positions of trains, somewhat similarly to P2, but without freight/NR trains' headcodes or all of the logs that P2 can display.

http://opentraintimes.com/maps

I note you used to work at Clapham Junction, and so there may be some maps there to interest you.

In addition, though the Briefcase Rail Train View map versions do not fully cover that particular area (some are in development, but I won't link to those in case they become confusing), much of the rest of the Brighton Mainline and surrounding routes can be viewed live through them:

http://www.sussextrains.co.uk/ (roughly South of Gatwick Airport / Eridge) and http://www.sussextrains.co.uk/sandbox (North of Gatwick Airport, plus some branches - not including lines North of Norwood Junction or from around the Streatham Common area Northwards).

(Note also the "added extra" commentaries on various aspects of the BML! ;) )

Last edited:

neodoughnut

TSR,

Thank you very much for the links. :)

I really like the OTT Maps as I'm already a fan of Peter Hicks works (Class 91 on Trainz!).

Thanks again

Established Member
Staff that really need P2 for their job have had enough difficulty getting it. At one time there was a limit on the number of users, but that may have changed now.

tsr

Established Member
Staff that really need P2 for their job have had enough difficulty getting it. At one time there was a limit on the number of users, but that may have changed now.

There's also the Sharp TMIS (I think it's called that) which is the somewhat disappointing alternative. As far as I know, it is meant to be a replacement of P2 Viewer at some TOCs/locations, but my fortunately fairly limited experience has shown me that it appears to be very slow and not at all intuitive. P2 Viewer is not so bad, apart from the occasionally-infuriating task of finding the map you want when the nationwide map goes funny and you can't remember the area/berth map code you're after...

SPADTrap

Established Member
Tornado mobile is pretty good! We've been playing with it for a while at my TOC.

Skimble19

Established Member
Tornado mobile is pretty good! We've been playing with it for a while at my TOC.

If you've got a login code you can actually use that on any device (desktop PCs included).. It's certainly more up to date than P2 in a few areas! *cough* Hitchin *cough*

Aictos

Established Member
What is Tornado Mobile? What TOCs use it and in what capacity?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I've seen P2 in a public location at Gatwick station, it is available in the mess rooms at Waterloo and at 3 secure locations around the platforms. I find it hugely useful when I've got a quick turnround at Waterloo.:D

SPADTrap

Established Member
What is Tornado Mobile? What TOCs use it and in what capacity?

P2 but a mobile based version, primarily at least. It's very good indeed!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If you've got a login code you can actually use that on any device (desktop PCs included).. It's certainly more up to date than P2 in a few areas! *cough* Hitchin *cough*

Yeah its very impressive but a little heavy on my iPhone, WIP though. Yeah it has the DCF if I remember rightly.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Ahh I see, I love to see a screenshot of the app as I've never seen it before, I know there's a P2 lite version which just has the maps and what runs off a Java engine but it's only accessible off work PCs saying that I don't know how up to date this Tornado Mobile is but I've still to see any updates for Peterborough in P2 6 months AFTER the resignalling took place..... :roll:

HOWEVER I'm glad to say Open Train Times is so much more up to date then P2 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.