• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer - Cardiff - Holyhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
A person on twitter to TfW this morning is claiming they were on a pacer from Newport to Holyhead on a Cardiff to Holyhead train ? Surely not?

Is there anyone on here that can confirm or deny this? If true it would be the first time a pacer has "graced" the presence of the North Wales coast since the late 90/s early 2000's and would be an interesting sight. TfW do reply on twitter that "Class 150" are used on this route, so I guess the poster is mistaken between sprinter and pacer. She quotes carriage number 52227 ? Does anyone know if that is a 150 or pacer carriage.

I would have posted this in the TfW shortage of stock threads but one of the trigger happy mods has locked it for some reason so I have to start another new thread....

The Cardiff to Holyhead service mentioned I believe to be the below

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P76565/2019-12-04/detailed

The twitter conversation is below.

https://twitter.com/tfwrail/status/1202149336538320898

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
She helpfully gave the carriage number: 52227 which is part of 150227

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I thought as much but thought I would check as it would have been a sight to see.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To non-railway people, it seems that "Pacer" is essentially a euphemism for "slightly crappier old train than I was expecting"...

Eccles1983

On Moderation
The "pacer" wouldn't of got further than Chester. No crews sign the traction and Cardiff men don't sign the route.

File under another example of the loving customer being right......

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A person on twitter to TfW this morning is claiming they were on a pacer from Newport to Holyhead on a Cardiff to Holyhead train ? Surely not?

Is there anyone on here that can confirm or deny this? If true it would be the first time a pacer has "graced" the presence of the North Wales coast since the late 90/s early 2000's and would be an interesting sight. TfW do reply on twitter that "Class 150" are used on this route, so I guess the poster is mistaken between sprinter and pacer. She quotes carriage number 52227 ? Does anyone know if that is a 150 or pacer carriage.

I would have posted this in the TfW shortage of stock threads but one of the trigger happy mods has locked it for some reason so I have to start another new thread....

The Cardiff to Holyhead service mentioned I believe to be the below

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P76565/2019-12-04/detailed

The twitter conversation is below.

https://twitter.com/tfwrail/status/1202149336538320898

This thread has been created to replace the locked one.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-stock-to-tfw-wales-and-borders.196081/page-2

I saw the Tweet myself and dismissed it immediately as written by a lay person with limited knowledge of DMU Classes, Who would have driven it and how could it run over routes where there is no authority to run. 150227

been reported on here previously that pacers not permitted on Marches north of Craven Arms, and on odd occasion they have set out on a Heart of Wales service from Swansea they are always swapped with a southbound service where they pass

sd0733

Established Member
been reported on here previously that pacers not permitted on Marches north of Craven Arms, and on odd occasion they have set out on a Heart of Wales service from Swansea they are always swapped with a southbound service where they pass
That's part crew knowledge too though as nobody that signs north of Llandrindod signs 14xs

sprinterguy

Established Member
To non-railway people, it seems that "Pacer" is essentially a euphemism for "slightly crappier old train than I was expecting"...
Indeed: I think a lot of Northern passengers will be surprised when they find out the large fleet of 150s aren't going as part of the Pacer replacement! :o

geoffk

Established Member
Why are they not permitted? Not that they would be welcome but is it a gauging problem or differential speed limits?

iantherev

Well, they're not wrong...
Imagine being used to a 175 or 158 on that service, a 150 is a terrible downgrade.

It’s a train, though and that’s better than nothing if you actually have to use it to get somewhere. The alternative is cancellation which does no-one any favours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

This happens at Shrewsbury when a 150 ends up on a diagram that would go onto the Cambrian, too, due to the lack of ERTMS kit. Much as it's annoying it seems well rehearsed.

Why are they not permitted? Not that they would be welcome but is it a gauging problem or differential speed limits?
Unreliable operation of the track circuits around Shrewsbury station. They're only allowed to run through there ECS with special authority and even then have to be treated as on-track plant.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Uh oh, all was well until Bridgend, where for some reason despite arriving bang on time it's just departed 31 minutes late!

Very much imagine the service will be caped at Tondu then!

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
It’s a train, though and that’s better than nothing if you actually have to use it to get somewhere. The alternative is cancellation which does no-one any favours.

A cancellation would allow you to board the next comfy 158 with trolley service and phone chargers and big comfy seats with headrests even on an advance though..... I would rather be late than a 5 hour 150 journey.

People were complaining about music and noise etc on trains in another thread recently. The noise near the doors of a 150 at speed for 5 hours would drive you mad with the rattling of doors, gaps between doors trapping air and vibrating. Loud music would be a welcome rest from that.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I hear this and I personally disagree in many cases. The same has been said with regards to short forms on GWR/LNER with 5 vice 10 and I'd personally rather the train was cancelled in many cases to allow me to board the next service (even on an advance) and likely have more space to relax, and be able to claim delay repay for the inconvenience. With a short formed train or a massive downgrade of stock (like 150 instead of 175 here) I'll have a much more unpleasant journey and it's basically tough luck, but if the train is cancelled then I may get compensation and may get a nicer journey later.

Overall, a better option would be the ability to catch the next service and claim delay repay if you chose to but that's getting into fantasy land.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I hear this and I personally disagree in many cases. The same has been said with regards to short forms on GWR/LNER with 5 vice 10 and I'd personally rather the train was cancelled in many cases to allow me to board the next service (even on an advance) and likely have more space to relax, and be able to claim delay repay for the inconvenience. With a short formed train or a massive downgrade of stock (like 150 instead of 175 here) I'll have a much more unpleasant journey and it's basically tough luck, but if the train is cancelled then I may get compensation and may get a nicer journey later.

Overall, a better option would be the ability to catch the next service and claim delay repay if you chose to but that's getting into fantasy land.

If the train was cancelled, you would have 2 trainloads for the next one.

PeterC

Established Member
Considering that people consider any open platform bus to be a "Routemaster" why am I not surprised?

bramling

Veteran Member

So you would *seriously* rather a train be cancelled? So people who actually need to get somewhere then have to wait just to get a supposedly nicer train, which will quite probably be more crowded? If the original train runs as something not to satisfaction then you have the option to wait, if on a cheapo ticket that doesn’t allow this then tough luck buy a flexible ticket next time!

Delay repay is there to compensate people for being delayed, not to compensate for getting a less nice train.

Status
Not open for further replies.