• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramboy

With a topic title that's bound to get some people noticing this, I'm having an issue with my old 142 (blue/regional railways in case anyone is interested). There's a slight incline in my track thanks to baseboard warping, and occasionally the thing just stops on it, unable to get traction...also it looks like the lead vehicle isn't applying it's motor at all.

The train also has problems taking power on curves...I've cleaned the wheels and the track, and tested that there is current over there (nothing else has this problem)

...so is it just age of the unit (it is at least 12 years old), the motor going, or something else?

If anyone can think of a solution to keep this veritable workhorse of my layout going, I'd be grateful!

Cheers

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LucaZone

have you opened the unit up and cleaned the interior? What about the pickups off the wheels? these might be cloged with dust? Also worth checking that the pickups arent loose. This may be the reason it looses power on curves and inclines, because the bogie has moved out of position and left the pickup behind.

Nathan

For the lead vehicle make sure the motor is getting a nice grip on the cog and also perhaps a bit of lubrication would make it run smoother. Like 'LucaZone' mentioned i think your problem is to do with the pickups i had a simular problem with my Merchant Navy class once.

devon_metro

Established Member
I have some of my trains slowing on a very slight gradient. Although i have managed to weigh it down with paint tins :p

Simming

Lead can sometimes help, so you can get traction and also gives the unit that little more momentum that can help it to stop stalling

My 142 slows down on curves because the connetor is bent so i have to jam it together. Im thinking of replacing my 142 in favour of a 150 but i dont tink that will be happening.

Pics of my 142 are on my moodel rail site - www.freewebs.com/elliottwaters92/

Hope you enjoy

Guinness

Established Member
Because that would be giving a Pacer a new life. Unacceptable!!

devon_metro

Established Member
:lol: When i saw this thread i thought it should be in NR general discussion, maybe someone should care to move it ;)

Gareth Hale

Chaz said:
Because that would be giving a Pacer a new life. Unacceptable!!

So you complain about me spending money on my computer, but you would rather throw out a £70 model train just because you dont like it?

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
So you complain about me spending money on my computer, but you would rather throw out a £70 model train just because you dont like it?

I don't complain about you spending money. And computers aren't anything to do with Model Pacers Gareth......

Also where did I say I was going to buy a £70 Pacer? :?

£70? Turbostar please!! :toothy7:

Yet again Gareth you've posted complete crap as per usual. No wonder RailUK has little bandwith with you all your poor posts. :roll:

my pacer cost me £30
My turbostar cost me £60
my 3 car 158 cost me £90

Stockton modeller for my pacer & 170, C&G modeles in Darlington for my 158.

The Gricer

tramboy said:
With a topic title that's bound to get some people noticing this, I'm having an issue with my old 142 (blue/regional railways in case anyone is interested). There's a slight incline in my track thanks to baseboard warping, and occasionally the thing just stops on it, unable to get traction...also it looks like the lead vehicle isn't applying it's motor at all.

The train also has problems taking power on curves...I've cleaned the wheels and the track, and tested that there is current over there (nothing else has this problem)
The 142s never were the best of runners due, in part at least, to the fact that they don't have so many wheels to pick up the current as most models. The worst ones were the ones with only one car powered. The best were those with both cars powered and with the two cars paralleled up. (See last post in this thread:- http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6489 )

LucaZone said:
This may be the reason it looses power on curves and inclines, because the bogie has moved out of position and left the pickup behind.
But pacers don't have bogies! :grin: ;)

Frank

My pacers now well and truly nackerd. So im still running it! Its got a bit of blue tac holding the clips together do it will still move. But now that my layouts comming into the 21st cenuary and is geting LED next train boards, and im still running 2nd gen dmus that are past there sell by date. Oh well, back to the depot it goes. Well, at least the pacer moves unlike my 37!

Status
Not open for further replies.