• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacer starting signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdonnigan

On the 21.18 northern rail ncl to mbr tonight driver through door closure procedure give the driver the two shorts pips. But driver replied with one long press. Guard opened back up got off done something got back on and away we went any idea what one long press was for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jedipickles

On the 21.18 northern rail ncl to mbr tonight driver through door closure procedure give the driver the two shorts pips. But driver replied with one long press. Guard opened back up got off done something got back on and away we went any idea what one long press was for.

If your talking about the buzzer:
a Single Buzz of any length means Stop.
and Two/Double means Start or Go.

Crossover

Established Member
Maybe hadn't gained interlock so couldn't release the brakes/take power (different stock works in different ways)

I've been on a Pacer which hasn't gained interlock before, though in that case the driver just didn't reply at all...we just guessed he may have gone to sleep as the train had been sat in a terminal station for a while :lol:

HugePilchard

The codes aren't Pacer-specific, they're in use across the industry. Wikipedia has the following:

1 Stop
1—2 Close doors
2 Ready to start
2—2 Do not open doors
3 Set Back
3—1 Lock central door locking
3—2—1 Testing doors
3—3 Guard required by driver, or guard or driver to speak on the telephone
3—3—1 Release central door locking
4 Slow down
6 Draw forward
9 Police assistance required

route:oxford

Established Member
9 Police assistance required

I'm thinking back 30 years now to when I'd be sitting on the front seat of a Scotrail 101 (or similar) as a kid watching the driver (and where we are going).

I do recall reading the buzzer codes that were printed on a plate, but don't recall reading "police assistance required" - there was something truly bizarre listed last on the plate though which seemed, even as a child, to be a rather specific fault to assign a buzzer to.

Could this have been a "secret cover" for the distress code?

Established Member
Most common problem on a 142 is the doors sticking, so not shutting correctly. Conductor then has to walk along the platform to check all of them have closed - and give a kick to the ones that haven't. Sometimes the driver will respond with ding ding and try to take power - but can't. Most conductors seem to know the problem straight away (even some of the passengers, including myself, who now try to help out by either telling the conductor which door is the problem or shutting it ourselves).

driver9000

Established Member
Most common problem on a 142 is the doors sticking, so not shutting correctly. Conductor then has to walk along the platform to check all of them have closed - and give a kick to the ones that haven't. Sometimes the driver will respond with ding ding and try to take power - but can't. Most conductors seem to know the problem straight away (even some of the passengers, including myself, who now try to help out by either telling the conductor which door is the problem or shutting it ourselves).

More often than not it is the waistlock that hasn't locked properly preventing the train from going, sometimes the door can appear closed too. It is for this reason I won't return the buzzer until the engines have powered up. Nothing worse than having 'buzz-buzz' and then nothing happening.

driver9000

Established Member
Google's telling me that's a wrestling move. :s

You couldn't explain that one, could you? Ta!

The waist lock is small bolt used on Pacers to keep the door locked in place because they fold in when opening rather than sliding across as on Sprinters. If you look on the inside at the outer edge of the doors on a 14x you'll see a black box fitted to the wall with a small silver bolt protruding from it. When the door is closed the bolt moves out and sits in a lip on the door keeping it securely locked, when the door is open the bolt moves away from the door (with a 'thunk') and the door swings inwards. These bolts can sometimes stick in the released position preventing the brakes releasing, or they can move across but not sit in the lip properly making the door look closed, the brakes will release but no power is available. A simple push on the door leaf usually works in making contact to get the train to move. The bolt is connected to the brake/traction continuity wiring. On some 142s there is a set of LEDs above the door which will light up when a door is open to help in finding a door which is giving problems.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Can you still get buzzers on pacers if the doors are open? I thought the buzzers would only work if door interlock had been obtained. Giving 2 on the buzzer and only receiving one back maybe saying the road was against him or it was before departure time??

scrapy

Established Member
Can you still get buzzers on pacers if the doors are open? I thought the buzzers would only work if door interlock had been obtained. Giving 2 on the buzzer and only receiving one back maybe saying the road was against him or it was before departure time??

Yes providing the door is closed you can buzz and the brakes can be released however unless all the waist locks are in the correct position the driver cannot take power. Waist locks were not an original feature on the 142 so they work seperately from the door interlock. The hazard lights on the outside will only indicate an open door (and other things) and will not indicate a waist lock problem if the door is shut. The only way a guard will know if the waist lock hasn't locked properly on a door other than his local is when the driver can't take power.

Status
Not open for further replies.