• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacers off the rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspierail

If Pacers are to be withdrawn in the long term what should happen to them.

Should there be scrapped

Should there be on a heritage railway

Converted into self catering accommodation or B&B

Cafe

If you have any better ideas of what should happen to these units i would like to here from anyone on this forum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's not really a case of what "should" happen to them, but what will inevitably happen to them which will be just the same as any other type of rolling stock: Most will go for scrap (Unless anyone takes any heed of any crackpot ideas to convert them into flat-bed container carriers in Morocco), while a few will pass into preservation on heritage railways just like a few of the 141s have before them (Those that weren't shipped off to Iran).

BR Blue

Leave them in sidings for graffiti artists to repaint or fill one with celebrities for a new TV show.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I hope they preserve one.
It would then be a permanent reminder to designers of rail vehicles of what not to build!! :roll:
Well, there already is the 140, several 141s and a selection of the prototype single car Leyland railbuses in preservation at various locations, and there is a Pacer Preservation Society that has aims on preserving a representative of each of the three Pacer classes that are currently in active service, so it looks like we'll be well provided for in terms of Pacer preservation:
http://www.pacerpreservationsociety.co.uk/

DXMachina

Maybe the class 142s could be used as international sanctions against the Iranian regime - I assume we had to pay them to take the 141s off us, maybe they could be made to accept a gift of 142s

Damn sight cheaper than fighting a war.....

WatcherZero

Established Member
I hope they preserve one.
It would then be a permanent reminder to designers of rail vehicles of what not to build!! :roll:
The rest should be scrapped imo.

You say that but im sure there must have been a class or rolling stock or locomotive that was in service a far shorter time.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
142s have been widespread and a major part of the norths rail network for over 20 years. I think one should be be preserved for that reason not as a warning. It is and will be part of our history.

Yew

Established Member
As much as I want to say I hope they are all crushed, I think I will miss them when they are gone. Maybe not the ride quality though :/

Crimson_Quiff

Like anything else, one, two, possibly more will be preserved. The others to the scrap man.

As rubbish as they may be as commercial vehicles to commute passengers, they are trains with character and it is this I rate about them.

Preserve one example at least!

GNER 373

A few should remain in preservation so that we can 'enjoy' the 'great' rides we've enjoyed on them previously!

There's nothing like nodding donkeys! ;)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
If there's no money for wires and new electric rolling stock, perhaps Pacers could be used to re-open some lines (I'm thinking my Swansea ValleyLines idea, with services from Swansea Docks to Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen, Severn Sisters and Glyn-Neath/Aberdare, in particular) until wires and EMUs can be obtained. Then you can scrap the things (preserve one or two of each class if you like).

Ivo

Established Member
If there's no money for wires and new electric rolling stock, perhaps Pacers could be used to re-open some lines (I'm thinking my Swansea ValleyLines idea, with services from Swansea Docks to Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen, Severn Sisters and Glyn-Neath/Aberdare, in particular) until wires and EMUs can be obtained. Then you can scrap the things (preserve one or two of each class if you like).

DDA 2020? No chance. Sorry.

I don't mean any offence by this but I think it's just a teeny bit sad that your fantasysing about where pacers are going. NOBODY KNOWS YET! :)

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, preserved lines almost universally have jointed rail, but then they don't go faster than 25 mph, so Pacers ought to do OK. People pay to ride on roller-coasters, don't they? What I'd like to see is one in the old "Provincial" blue with the original doors and original engines and gearboxes, but that's highly unlikely. As for the rest, well, cut the body off one and someone could use it as a conservatory/greenhouse. Plenty of grounded coach bodies around, why not add to them?

That is unless the idea of giving them to Top Gear to destroy instead of caravans catches on. :D

Yew

Established Member
As for the rest, well, cut the body off one and someone could use it as a conservatory/greenhouse. Plenty of grounded coach bodies around, why not add to them?

Im saving up for a MK3 TFO :) I might even be able to find something to do with it one day :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well, preserved lines almost universally have jointed rail, but then they don't go faster than 25 mph, so Pacers ought to do OK. People pay to ride on roller-coasters, don't they?
I think that what the general consensus amongst many passengers who have travelled on the 141s in preservation is that the ride quality isn't so bad at less than 25mph :) I can imagine that the 142s, 143s and 144s would only be better!
What I'd like to see is one in the old "Provincial" blue with the original doors and original engines and gearboxes, but that's highly unlikely.
I'd love to see that as well, that'd certainly be something to bring back the childhood memories for me. Unfortunately the original doors, gearboxes and engines were hardly renowned for their reliability!
As for the rest, well, cut the body off one and someone could use it as a conservatory/greenhouse. Plenty of grounded coach bodies around, why not add to them?
I reckon that a Leyland Pacer body would be even more notorious for corrosion than are the many mark 1 vehicles that have been interred into various buildings! After seeing the pleasant decor in "The Rattler" bar in South Shields, the missus is quite complementary with the idea of having a railway carriage incorporated into the structure of our future house: I don't think that she'd be as happy with the idea if that carriage was one half of a Pacer :lol:

Anon Mouse

Established Member
If Pacers are to be withdrawn in the long term what should happen to them.

Should there be scrapped

not all of them, the NRM should at least save one of each class

Should there be on a heritage railway

Already some 141's preserved, they would be ideal for many preserved lines. Would demonstrate what kind of traction most would have had if they had of survived
Converted into self catering accommodation or B&B

I would think that was a very novel idea. I quite fancy the idea of living in a 3 car 144

Cafe

why not, after all buses have been converted into cafe's, would make a canny feature of a preserved railway as per MK1's etc
If you have any better ideas of what should happen to these units i would like to here from anyone on this forum.

strip the seats out and you could have plenty of space to build a model railway, I've seen model railways inside freight waggons, MK1's and APT-P Buffet Car so why not a random 142?

Still would be possible to get some sort of dispensation if needed.

DDA compliant!!
I hope some dispensation will be given, so as not to cause a shortage of Rolling stock.
Probably cheaper to pay for taxis to ferry the wheelchair users around, and keep 'em Pacers running!!
Better still build a load of new stock!

Roughytuffy

Its a shame there is a lot of negativity about Pacer's. They have done a pretty good job in their lifetime and the ride quality is not that bad. I will be sad to see them go actually. Would love to see the Weardale and Wensleydale Railways get some when available.

Bevan Price

Established Member
DDA 2020? No chance. Sorry.

Don't be too sure. If it comes to a future Government choosing either - "Release money we don't want to spend on new trains", or "Change the DDA deadline", then they would probably change the deadline.

shedman

I really don't see the problem with them. Ok not the best trains to grace the rails but a damn sight better than no train at all. For those of you that moan about ride quality, try driving an 08 round a depot for hours a day like i do on the condition of rails that these is there and you will long for a pacer! I hope that when they finally go the replacment isn't just more 2car units with a massive bog and bike space taking up most of one vehicle!

Status
Not open for further replies.