• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pacers on Yorkshire Coast Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
So, on Sunday, I caught sight of 144009 at Doncaster working a Sheffield-Scarborough service (this one: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y65237/2019/09/22/advanced ) and it was rather odd, since there was a 170 stored in Platform 2 at Doncaster which seemed to not be doing anything, and they put a 158 on the Hull-Doncaster stopper. Fast forward to yesterday, and a 144 was put on this service: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y61303/2019/09/25/advanced . This is at least twice I have seen 144s on the fast Sheffield-East Yorkshire services in the past 4 days, and I have probably only seen them go up the line only twice previously in my entire life (during the evening peak only). Is this a regular occurrence?

Just I thought that Pacers were meant to be getting replaced, but they’re appearing around Hull more often! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksDMU

I live in Beverley, and make good use of the line. I’ve noticed quite an increase in use of both classes of Pacer over the line since about a month ago. The only thing that I can think of is all the PRMing and refurbishing that is going on with all classes of bogie units. Recently, the 14.35 Bridlington to Sheffield has been a 158 instead of a 170. It was so again yesterday.
There’s one weekday service which is almost certain to guarantee a Pacer though, and that’s the 17.18 Hull to Bridlington and it’s return working. It comes in from York, on the 15.47 York to Hull.
So a big shake up in Northerns units is taking place, and I suppose we will have to wait until the work on those other units is finally completed.
Then, of course, there’s the introduction of the 195’s, which are due to enable the big cascade of units, which is due to further hasten the end of those Pacers. But, of course, there are some well reported teething troubles with the 195’s, so we may be kept waiting longer.
I hope all this makes some sense, and is of some help.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I live in Beverley, and make good use of the line. I’ve noticed quite an increase in use of both classes of Pacer over the line since about a month ago. The only thing that I can think of is all the PRMing and refurbishing that is going on with all classes of bogie units. Recently, the 14.35 Bridlington to Sheffield has been a 158 instead of a 170. It was so again yesterday.
There’s one weekday service which is almost certain to guarantee a Pacer though, and that’s the 17.18 Hull to Bridlington and it’s return working. It comes in from York, on the 15.47 York to Hull.
So a big shake up in Northerns units is taking place, and I suppose we will have to wait until the work on those other units is finally completed.
Then, of course, there’s the introduction of the 195’s, which are due to enable the big cascade of units, which is due to further hasten the end of those Pacers. But, of course, there are some well reported teething troubles with the 195’s, so we may be kept waiting longer.
I hope all this makes some sense, and is of some help.
Makes sense.

However, considering on Sunday I saw a 158 on the Hull-Doncaster stopper (I caught it home actually) and a 170 sat in Doncaster Platform 2 doing diddly squat, I don’t think it’s entirely that. Plus 144021 was on this service today: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y61176/2019/09/27/advanced while 170s are probably pootling around on the Harrogate Line stoppers, so Northern have some direct role (although to be fair, when do they not :lol: ).

Crossover

Established Member
There has been at least one occasion of a Pacer making it all the way to Scarborough. I presume those over the last couple of days made it all the way through as well?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
There has been at least one occasion of a Pacer making it all the way to Scarborough. I presume those over the last couple of days made it all the way through as well?
On Sunday they definitely did. Monday-Saturday the faster Sheffield service only goes as far as Bridlington for now, but in December I believe it’s going up to Scarborough full time.

Mark62

I remember the last remaining holiday special from Sheffield to Scarborough on summer Saturdays being a pacer back in 93.it did the run in two hours and ran via Ponte, non stop to York. Then non stop to Scarborough. The two carriages were usually packed to the proverbials. But they kept time without any problems. I believe the summer Saturday Sheffield to Scarborough meridian wasn't much faster than the pacer.
Incidentally a pacer has been doing the Hexham to Whitby run.

Status
Not open for further replies.