Paddington - Exeter - Manchester

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Adam0984, 20 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

Okay so here is what I am doing
    London Paddington to Exeter SD 1206 train
    Exeter SD to Manchester P 1448 train
    My question is is a Manchester to Exeter super off peak return not via London valid via Reading then a London to Reading ticket for the missing bit?

2. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You want to know if a Manchester - Exeter ticket, routed "not via London", is valid via Reading?

To do this you need to consult the Routeing Guide.

As you can see from the yellow pages, the mapped routes between Exeter Group & Manchester Group are on the following maps:

• MP
    • MP+NR
    • PM
    • PM+NR
    The maps can be viewed here: http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps

As you can see, none of the maps include Reading.

In contrast, the fares routed "+via London" are valid by all the permitted routes Manchester - London (which includes via Reading) plus all the permitted routes London - Exeter. And, because it's a higher priced fare, it's also valid on all the above mapped routes avoiding London too.

3. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

That is what I suspected but couldn't get the national rail journey planner to do via reading but not London on my phone. Back to the drawing board

4. higthomas

higthomas Member

As a simple way to do something a bit like what you want, you could get a Coventry to Exeter Off peak return via Birmingham, excess it to via Reading on the outward leg, and then also get a Birmingham to Manchester off peak single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.