• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington OHLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Just wondering when Paddington was wired why wasn't Platforms 1-4 wired?.
When Crossrail takes over line 6 for there turnback, Paddington will lose a line so it would make sense then to wire platforms 1-4.

And i can't imagine that FCC or Hex Ex or Heathrow connect will be happy at losing a line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
When Crossrail takes over line 6 for there turnback, Paddington will lose a line so it would make sense then to wire platforms 1-4.

And i can't imagine that FCC or Hex Ex or Heathrow connect will be happy at losing a line

They are wired aren't they? Heathrow Connect will be replaced by Crossrail, and FGW's Thames Valley services will be restructured to some extent. Hopefully Crossrail will undermine HEX to the point where they transfer to Crossrail services...

cle

Established Member
Interesting point for Oxford and Newbury services - are there plans to wire platforms 1-4?

ole man

Havent heard any plans to wire platforms 1-4, though im sure i will be corrected!.

N Levers

Isn't it just plats 1,13&14 not wired.

Also I was under the impression that all the long platforms will be wired.

Nym

Established Member
Wouldn't they not bother wiring them and then have all the BiMode IEPs running onto them platforms to justify the Diesel Engines...?

ole man

Forgive my mistake it is just 1-2 and 13-14 that are not wired, they would'nt drop there pans just to enter the unwired platfroms

anthony263

Established Member
Wouldn't they not bother wiring them and then have all the BiMode IEPs running onto them platforms to justify the Diesel Engines...?

I can just see the DFT using that as an excuse especially with them running out of ways to justify the bi-mode version of IEP

ole man

All lines are wired at Westbourne Bridge which is less than a mile from Paddington, so i cant see the DFT making all trains drop there pans just to justify BiMode stock

electra27000

I seem to recall reading something that there weren't sufficient clearances under the Bishop's Bridge to wire up platforms 1 & 2. No idea on 13 & 14, though.

David10

Paddington was wired in the 90s for the Heathrow Express which normally use plaforms 6 & 7. A few more were done as a contigency but 1 & 2 probably were not done as there was no need, GWML electrification wasn't even on the horizon.

Another couple done when the Heathrow Connect service started. Obviously all will be wired up as part of the GWML electrification.

John55

The real question is why did they wire as many as they did? Heathrow Express ran 4 trains per hour hardly any need for more than a few platforms to be wired.

When the GWML is electrified it will all be fixed so the all electric IEPs can run from platform 1 etc.

electra27000

Paddington was wired in the 90s for the Heathrow Express which normally use plaforms 6 & 7.

Even stranger is the fact that platforms 11 & 12 were originally supposed to be the Heathrow Express platforms, before it was decided to use platforms 6 & 7 instead.

David10

Even stranger is the fact that platforms 11 & 12 were originally supposed to be the Heathrow Express platforms, before it was decided to use platforms 6 & 7 instead.
Perhaps the penny dropped that using 11 & 12 would take up more pathing moving to the fast lines?

ole man

Isn't that going to be the same if as stated above Crossrail take over Hex Connect, or will they not be using Paddington?

David10

Isn't that going to be the same if as stated above Crossrail take over Hex Connect, or will they not be using Paddington?
Crossrail services from Heathrow will go through Paddington and head east under the city. The bridge west of Hayes & Harlington will be modified so trains from the Heathrow branch can go straight onto the slow lines.

cle

Established Member
And they'll run on the slows, so will be on the right tracks.

Even Heathrow Express, if it goes to Crossrail (and I think it's likely) - will run on the slows at least during peaks, and then through the core. It'll use some skip stopping to slow it down for pathing purposes.

More trains beyond Paddington will probably mean more skip-stopping in general - to keep down journey times and spread out stops. I imagine most trains will stop at Hayes and Ealing Broadway though.

And the trusty 207 covers local journeys if for example, you can't travel from West Ealing to Hanwell any more.

David10

Even Heathrow Express, if it goes to Crossrail (and I think it's likely) - will run on the slows at least during peaks, and then through the core.
I presume the underground Crossrail platforms will be fitted with glass screens on the platforms as per the Jubilee line so HEx's 332s wont be able to operate east of Paddington. I think HEx have a 25 year open access contract so will be with us until at least 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.