• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington - Oxford - Banbury - Marylebone with Priv; fare advice for Sat 4th April?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

Would anyone be able to suggest the cheapest fare (using a Priv) for the following trip on Saturday 4th April?

1000 London Paddington - Oxford
Oxford - Banbury
1311 Banbury - London Marylebone

Not sure if there's a 'London Terminals to Somewhere' that would allow that?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A London Terminals to Banbury super off-peak return would allow this. The full adult price is £29. I don't have a PRIV but I believe it's 75% off with one.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
A London Terminals to Banbury super off-peak return would allow this. The full adult price is £29. I don't have a PRIV but I believe it's 75% off with one.

Strictly speaking it wouldn't, due to the doubling back between Aynho Junction and Banbury as a result of the FGW diversions via the Chiltern route, and the diverted FGW trains only stopping at Banbury for operational purposes (i.e. to reverse).

The logical option would be a London - Oxford Off-Peak Day Return at £24.80 (£6.20 PRIV), given you've got no choice but to go back via Banbury to get back to London. It's a slightly grey area as to whether Chiltern would accept it or not though, and Chiltern WebTIS won't offer any fares for that route either.

The only 100% valid option would be a Single from London - Oxford, another one from Oxford - Banbury and a third from Banbury - London, though that comes to £14.95 PRIV.

RJ

Established Member
I did this today, albeit out from Marylebone and back into Paddington. As I originally intended to go to Leamington to cost £7.25 for the day return.

greatkingrat

Established Member
If a ticket is valid on the normal route of a train, it is also valid if that train is diverted via a different route so I don't see any problem with using a London - Banbury ticket as it is normally valid via Oxford.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The text version of Webtis booking engines give an itinerary of you specify 'exclude Marylebone' and 'extended station change time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.