• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington signalling arrangements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

Could anybody answer me this?

Last night at Royal Oak a FGW train went through a red aspect, i know this as i was watching it and waiting for it to stop, whilst it did slow down the signal never changed aspect from red.

Is there special working arrangements going on? the signal gantry is right next to Royal Oak tube station and has 6 signals on it all showed a red aspect.

The signal gantry in question holds SN37,39,41,43,45 and 47 on the approach into Paddington

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TomBoyRacer

was it possible the call on aspect was lit? These can be hard to spot from some angles. If the train had been instructed to pass the signal at danger he would have been stopped prior to the movement, and all signals in the area have TPWS so the brakes would have slammed on if it was a genuine SPAD.

ole man

I could see all aspects from where i was stood, the train slowed right down but never stopped which i've seen many times, but to carry on i've never seen

John55

I could see all aspects from where i was stood, the train slowed right down but never stopped which i've seen many times, but to carry on i've never seen

Which line was the DMU on?

If I have remembered correctly there are 7 tracks here with 6 signals. It is therefore possible the DMU was on a line which is not signalled from that gantry.

ole man

There are seven tracks not including the LU, i was stood in the Siding which is not controlled by this Gantry all the other 6 lines are controlled by this gantry.At a guess im going to say it was either line 3 or 4 which would be SN 41 or SN43.

turbo mick

All the signals at paddington on the last gantry have a calling facility where by means of two white lights to proceed on too other trains generally to couple up.this happens quite a bit in the late evening generally to take units back to reading depot I've driven 9cars back late at night

455driver

Veteran Member
Could anybody answer me this?

Last night at Royal Oak a FGW train went through a red aspect, i know this as i was watching it and waiting for it to stop, whilst it did slow down the signal never changed aspect from red.

The train did not pass the red because if it did the TPWS would fire, the train would stop very quickly, all hell would let loose and the driver would be releaved of duty, medscreened, interviewed, taken off track while it was investigated etc.

The train would have been shown the cats eyes/ dummy/ calling on signal/ shunt signal/ tommy dod etc call it what you want its all the same thing, to enter an already occupied platform. These are 2 white lights at 45 degrees to each other and are normally positioned beside the main signal. They only clear once the train has reached a certain point (hence the slowing down), the train DID NOT go past a red because he had a proceed on the dummy.

ole man

Many thanks for explaining that to me, im from the Overhead line and tend not to get involved in the workings of Signals or S&T.
At least from now on i'll have some knowledge

The train did not pass the red because if it did the TPWS would fire, the train would stop very quickly, all hell would let loose and the driver would be releaved of duty, medscreened, interviewed, taken off track while it was investigated etc.

The train would have been shown the cats eyes/ dummy/ calling on signal/ shunt signal/ tommy dod etc call it what you want its all the same thing, to enter an already occupied platform. These are 2 white lights at 45 degrees to each other and are normally positioned beside the main signal. They only clear once the train has reached a certain point (hence the slowing down), the train DID NOT go past a red because he had a proceed on the dummy.

To be pedantic, a train passing a subsidiary signal is passing a red signal. The clearing of the subsidiary signal is authority to pass the main aspect at danger which cannot be cleared due to the line ahead being occupied.

Status
Not open for further replies.